Mixed Age Couples

Mixed age couples are not eligible to make a new claim for Housing Benefit, they must apply for Universal Credit for help to pay their rent. The definition of a mixed age couple is "a couple, one member of which has attained the qualifying age for state pension credit and the other of which has not". Please note that these changes do not apply to Council Tax Reduction schemes.  Mixed age couples are still eligible for Council Tax Reduction.

Visit www.gov.uk to calculate your Pension Credit age.

If you are a mixed age couple and were claiming Housing Benefit prior to 14th May 2019 then you are protected from the new rules and can continue to claim Housing Benefit so long as your claim remains continuous.  If you are a mixed age couple and have been receiving Pension Credit continuously since 14th May 2019, you can make a new claim to Housing Benefit.

If you are an existing working age couple on Housing Benefit, and the older member of your couple becomes a pensioner, you will cease to be eligible to claim Housing Benefit and your claim will end. You will then need to make a claim for Universal Credit for your Housing Costs instead.


If the younger member of your couple is in receipt of either Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income-Based), or Employment and Support Allowance (Income-Related) at the point where you become a mixed age couple, Housing Benefit can continue to be awarded so long as they continue to be entitled to that benefit.

You will also be exempt from this rule if you are living in temporary or supported accommodation. If you are unsure whether you fall within one of these categories then please contact us for further advice.

Last Modified: 11/05/2023
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430

Email: benefits@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top