Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) provide additional help with your rent. We cannot help with some parts of your rent, for instance if meals, heating or water rates are included. We cannot pay above the level of your rent.

DHPs can not help with the cost of Council Tax.

Who can get a DHP? 

To get a DHP, you must be entitled to Housing Benefit (HB) or receiving Universal Credit (UC) which includes an amount for housing costs.

There are no set circumstances but you will need to prove to us that you are in need of extra help.

How much DHP can I get?

A DHP can make up any short fall between your eligible rent and the amount of HB you have been awarded, or if you receive UC you can get a DHP to make up any shortfall between your eligible rent and the housing cost element included in your UC.

How long can I get a DHP for?

DHPs are normally only awarded for a short period for example 3 months This will allow you time to consider if you can make any changes to your circumstances. At the end of this period you will need to reapply for a DHP if you think you still need extra help to pay your rent and we will reconsider the circumstances of your case. There is no guarantee however that a further award will be made even if your circumstances remain the same.

Please note-each year we are given a limited amount of money by the Government to award DHPs. Once this money has been used up we will no longer be able to award these payments however good your reasons are.

How do I apply for a DHP? 

if you would like to apply for a DHP, you can complete an online application.

Alternatively, please print off and complete the Discretionary Housing Payment Application Form.

Further information is available in the Discretionary Housing Payment Leaflet.

Our Discretionary Housing Payment Policy outlines our approach to Discretionary Housing Payments.

Last Modified: 19/02/2020
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430

Email: benefits@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top