Backdating Benefit

The aim of this section is to provide general guidance on backdating any entitlement under the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction schemes.

If you are under pensionable age we can backdate your benefit by up to 1 month in the case of Housing Benefit and by up to 3 months in the case of the Council Tax Reduction scheme if you can show that:

  • You had ‘good cause’ for not making your claim earlier
  • You could not claim throughout the period you want your benefit backdated (whether for the same reason or different reasons)

How do I ask you to backdate my benefit?

You must write to us asking for your benefit to be backdated. Your letter should tell us:

  • the date you would like your benefit backdated to; and
  • your reasons for not claiming benefit at that time and since then

We will also need evidence of your income for the period you want the benefit backdated to (for example payslips) and any other information which you think may help your case (such as a letter from your doctor, if you were ill at the time).

If you are over pensionable age we will automatically backdate your claim for up to 3 months providing you qualify for Housing Benefit and or a Council Tax Reduction during that period. You do not need to ask us to backdate your claim. We may however need to see proof of your income and capital for the last 3 months.

Further information is available in the Advice on Backdating Benefit Leaflet.

Last Modified: 18/01/2019
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430


Back to top