Changes in your circumstances

You must tell us immediately about any changes that will affect your Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction claim or Council Tax account.

If you delay you may lose benefit, claim too much discount or be paid too much benefit and will be asked to pay the money back.

It is an offence not to tell us about a change and could lead to a criminal prosecution.

Examples of the changes we need to know about are listed below. You must tell us:

  • If you change your address;
  • If you or your partner’s income or savings increase or decrease including:
    • If Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance stops;
    • If you start or stop receiving Universal Credit
    • If you start work or change jobs;
    • If wages increase or decrease;
    • If a tax credit is awarded or the amount of award changes.
    • If your private pension increases.
    • If your savings increase e.g. if you have received an inheritance and as a result your savings have increased to over £16,000
  • Changes affecting people who live with you including:
    • If someone comes to live with you or if someone leaves your household;
    • If the income or circumstances of someone living with you change (e.g. they start work or their Income Support ends):

This is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us something, just check.

How to report a change

It is important that you provide details of the change, the date that the change occurred and proof where appropriate.

If you have changed address please complete the change of address form

Further information is available in the changes in your circumstances leaflet.

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430


Back to top