Claimant's from Overseas

If you come to the United Kingdom you may be eligible for help with your rent and council tax.

How do I apply?

The benefit rules for people who have recently come to the United Kingdom are complex. To find out if you may be eligible for Housing Benefit or help under the Council Tax Reduction Scheme, please contact us on 0800 028 2569

If we think you may be able to get benefit, we’ll give you an appointment for personal interview where a Benefits officer will complete the claim.

What proof of nationality is needed?

We’ll need to see documents such as your passport, national identity card, residence permit, worker's registration card, registration certificate, and accession work card.

Do I need a national insurance number?

Both you and your partner need to have a national insurance number to claim benefit.

For more information on the rules for foreign nationals claiming benefits visit the Government's website.

Last Modified: 18/01/2019
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430


Back to top