Here in Torfaen we have undergone a revolution. New standards for school meals have meant they have never before been so nutritious and varied. Making the food we provide in schools healthier has only been half the battle. Young people have to want to eat them and this has been achieved with hard work and enthusiasm by all the schools’ catering teams across Torfaen.
We have produced a Gimme 5 booklet to give parents more information about school meals.
We have designed five new characters to represent school meals. A banana, strawberry, broccoli, carrot and plum are the new faces of our campaign and as well as being dotted around our web pages, will be seen on a wide range of literature, including leaflets, menus and posters.
Belle Banana recently had a starring role in a Roadshow that nearly every school in Torfaen received. Our customers really enjoyed the lively show and sang along with Belle as she encouraged the children to enjoy a healthy meal
School meal revolution
School meals have never attracted so much public attention. Scientists are discovering that when young people eat healthy food regularly they are sharper and more alert.
We serve roughly 8,900 school meals a day and new standards mean we have reduced fat, sugar and salt in our recipes and increased fruit and vegetable consumption, therefore contributing significantly to our young people’s healthy diet.
Benefits of school meals:
- They are healthy and nutritionally balanced
- Convenient - can help you save time in the mornings by not having to prepare a packed lunch
- Children benefit from sitting down together at a table and can try new foods
- Help children concentrate and perform well at school
- Help your child towards the target of consuming ‘5-a-day'
- Promote children’s social skills, table manners and ability to make informed meal choices
- Allow children to relax in a safe, supervised environment with friends
- Your child can enjoy theme menus such as a St David's Day special
- Good value for money
How are we encouraging healthy eating?
Last Modified: 05/12/2018
Back to top
- Torfaen Schools participate in the Healthy Schools Scheme which promotes healthy living
- Ensuring a whole school/cross curricular approach to healthy eating
- Opening fruit tuck shops
- Free milk for all nursery and infant pupils
- Providing breakfast
- Forming School Nutrition Action Groups (SNAGs) so children can influence healthy meal choices
- Promoting regular exercise