School Complaints Procedure
Regulations introduced under the Education Act 2002 requires the governing bodies of all maintained schools in Wales, including nursery schools, to establish procedures for dealing with complaints from parents, pupils, members of staff, governors, members of the local community and others.
School Related Complaints
- If you have a school related complaint you need to contact the school directly so that it has an opportunity to resolve the issue.
- The statutory responsibility for responding to school related complaints lies with the school and governing body.
- Each Torfaen school has a complaint policy that complies with Welsh Government guidance and has three stages and is available from the school on request
- It is expected that the majority of complaints are dealt with at Stage A or B.
- Stage C escalates the complaint for consideration by the governing body’s complaints committee. This is the final arbiter of school related complaints
- In all cases the school and governing body will ensure that complaints are dealt with in an unbiased, open and fair way.
- Concerns and complaints are taken very seriously & where mistakes have been made lessons will be learned from them.
For more information contact:
Education Achievement Service for South East Wales, Governor Support Service
Tel: 01633 415474
Education Service Complaints
If you are approaching the Education Service for a service for the first time, (e.g. requesting an appointment etc) then the complaints policy does not apply. You should first give us a chance to respond to your request. If you make a request for an Education service and are not happy with our response, you will be able to make your concern known through the complaints process. There are two stages, stage one being an informal resolution within 10 working days and stage 2 a formal investigation within 20 working days. If you remain dissatisfied you have the option of escalating your complaint to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.
The Authority has a complaints team who you can contact with details of your complaint. If you prefer you can report your concerns or complaints here or download a complaint form.
Last Modified: 13/10/2016
Back to top