Services for disabled children and their families
Some of the services that we or other agencies may be able to provide include:
- An assessment service together with advice and assistance
- A co-ordinating role with other agencies or services via the Key Worker Scheme
- Provision of specialist equipment to reduce the impact of disability
- Short breaks either at home or in a suitable alternative venue
- A transition service for young people reaching adulthood
- Direct Payments for disabled children
We can also help families to access play and leisure activities, advice about welfare rights and the Portage Scheme – a home visiting educational service for pre-school children with additional support needs.
There is also a dedicated Occupational Therapist to work with children with disabilities.
Carers and young carers may also be entitled to an assessment of their needs in their own right under the Carers (Equal Opportunities) Act 2004.
Last Modified: 05/12/2018
Back to top