Van Permit Scheme

What is the Van Permit Scheme?

Vans and trailers must have a permit to enable them to visit the Household Recycling Centre. They can visit the site at New Inn daily between 1.30pm-2.30pm. You can request a van/trailer permit here or contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200. There is an administration charge of £10 for each van and trailer permit. Each permit entitles you to one visit to the Household Recycling Centre. Each household can apply for up to 10 permits per year.

The rules for the site to incorporate social distancing are simple; if you haven’t booked a slot you won’t be allowed into the site. We want to make sure that everyone who needs to visit the site can do so and this will only happen if everyone follows the rules.

Permits can only be issued to residents of Torfaen. The site attendant will check your Permit when you arrive at the site, as well as your proof of address, for instance a recent utility bill, to ensure the waste is from your home.

Why have Permits?

The permits are intended to stop illegal use of the site for disposal of trade waste. If you bring your waste to the site in a commercial type vehicle, or with a trailer without a Permit, you will not be allowed to tip your waste.

How do I get a Permit?

You can request a van/trailer permit here or contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200. All bookings must be pre-booked up to 7 days in advance so if you have a certain date in mind you will have to make sure you plan when to make your booking. Slots are booked on a first come first serve basis.

The site will be open 7 days a week and will operate half hourly slots for vans and trailers between 1.30pm - 2.30pm.

Do I have to apply for a permit for every visit?

Each permit covers one visit to the site. Once this visit has been used, you will need to re-apply for further visits. Each household can apply for up to 10 permits per year.

I have a camper van, do I still need to apply for a Permit?

No, the scheme does not apply to private cars, including estate cars, four wheeled drive vehicles, people carriers or camper vans.

What if I hire/borrow a vehicle to dispose of household waste at short notice?

You still need a Permit before you can use the site. When you apply for a Permit, you will be asked for details of the vehicle you will be driving and for how long you intend to use it. Permits cannot be issued at the Household Recycling Centre. For hired vehicles, you will need to take your Hire Agreement (as well as proof of ID) with you to identify that you are the hirer of the vehicle. 

Is there a limit to how much waste I can bring to the Household Recycling Centre?

Yes, you can only bring up to one tonne of waste per visit to the site. Overweight vehicles may be turned away.

Large quantities of rubble and construction/demolition waste are not considered to be household waste and will not be accepted.

If you have large quantities of construction / demolition waste, we advise you to use a skip service or waste contractor.

Rubble and soil must be contained in suitable bags or containers.

Can I bring fridges and large household items to the site?

Yes, if you prefer you can bring your bulky household waste to the site rather than use our Bulky Household waste collection service. Visit the Bulky Household Items - Collection Service page for more information.

Can I apply for a Permit for trades people working on my house?

No. Applications cannot be made on behalf of other people such as trades people employed by you to undertake work. This waste must be paid for – if you tip trade waste at the site without paying, you are breaking the law.

When is the Household Recycling Centre open?

Visit the Household Recycling Centre page for details of openings times and items accepted at the site. 

Last Modified: 07/05/2024
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200


Back to top