Household Waste Recycling Centre
The Household Waste Recycling Centre provides facilities for the disposal of a range of recyclable materials and waste. These facilities are available to all residents for general household and garden waste.
Location and Opening Times
Household Waste Recycling Centre, Panteg Way, New Inn.
Summer (26 March 2023 - 28 October 2023)
- Monday to Saturday – 8:00am to 5.45pm
- Sunday - 9:00am to 5.45pm
Winter (29 October 2023 - 30 March 2024)
- Monday to Sunday – 10:00am to 3:45pm
Last vehicle entry will be at the above closing times.
The site is open every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
Cars visiting the HWRC
- Cars can access the site daily (without a permit)
- Sort recyclable from non-recyclable materials at home so that when you visit the HWRC you can place recycling in the correct bins. This will make your visit quicker and easier
- Be prepared to queue outside of the HWRC
Vans Visiting the HWRC
- Vans will be able to access the site daily between 1.30pm and 2:30pm on a pre-booked basis only
- No pre-booked slot no access
- The cost of the permit is £5.60 per visit. You can request a van/trailer permit online or contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200
Request a van/trailer permit
What can be recycled at the site?
- Paper (if shredded then please bag), cardboard, glass, cans and tins, clothing, shoes, textiles, plastic bottles, ferrous and non ferrous metal waste, wood, car batteries, white goods and fridges, large domestic appliances and small domestic appliances (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment)
- Grass, hedge and tree cuttings are also accepted for composting
- We also collect items such as bicycles that can be reused
- Rubble and hardcore are also accepted for reuse, though limited to small household quantities (this material must be bagged)
Please keep all these waste streams clean and separated.
What other materials are accepted?
Paint, thinners, used car oil, chemical treatments and tyres are also accepted. Please note - these materials need to be disposed of safely, please telephone the council for more information on how to use these facilities.
If you are considering dismantling a structure that you believe contains asbestos, in the first instance please contact the Food and Health Safety enforcement team on 01633 647623, or for further advice please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.
Alternatively if you wish to dispose of small amounts of asbestos at the Household Waste Recycling Centre you must contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200.
What cannot be recycled at the site?
Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam are not accepted at the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Other than batteries, tyres and engine oil the site cannot accept any automotive parts.
DIY/renovation waste is not permitted into the Household Waste Recycling Centre in any type of vehicle (van, trailer or car). If you want to deposit this type of waste you should:
- Obtain a skip
- Pay the weighbridge costs to FCC Environmental at the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Residents should contact FCC Environmental on 01495 755890 regarding their waste charges
- Use a private company which is an authorised waste carrier. The company must provide you with a waste transfer note which states where the waste is going for disposal.
DIY waste is defined as the waste produced as a result of a major renovation or DIY project to your property.
Examples of such projects include – renewing your bathroom suite or kitchen, digging up your garden to lay a patio, knocking down internal walls or chimney breasts. This is not an exhaustive list. If you have any queries, please contact a member of the waste team before attending the site.
Free compost for residents
Free compost is now available for residents to take from the site. A skip with the compost in is located between the fridge and freezer drop off point.
Residents are asked to bring their own bags or containers and a shovel, and to limit the amount they use to approximately two bags.
Last Modified: 12/10/2023
Back to top