Household Waste Recycling Centre
The Household Waste Recycling Centre provides facilities for the disposal of a range of recyclable materials and waste. These facilities are available to all residents for general household and garden waste who have pre- booked a time slot to visit.
The booking system has been introduced to control the numbers of vehicles trying to access the site at any one time. We realise that it is likely that demand to use the site is likely to be high. Experience at waste sites that have opened without controls is that waiting times and queues have been very long with waiting times of many hours, and many residents unable to access sites despite queuing. By restricting numbers we can ensure that the site is safe to visit and that visitors to the site do not impact on the wider road network. Ensure you only visit at your appropriate time slot. Please see below information for both cars and vans visiting the household waste recycling centre.
Cars visiting the HWRC
- Cars can access the site daily, but on a pre-booked basis only
- Sort recyclable from non-recyclable materials at home so that when you visit the HWRC you can place recycling in the correct bins. This will make your visit quicker and easier
- Make sure you book a slot to visit the Household Waste Recycling Centre using our online form or by calling 01495 762200
- Be prepared to queue outside of the HWRC
- Adhere to social distancing measures in place. Site staff will not be provide any assistance unloading your vehicle
- Take your own gloves or hand sanitiser with you as it will not be provided on site
- Make sure that only one person leaves the vehicle during your visit to the site
- You must not visit the site if you or anyone you are living with is in self-isolation or showing COVID-19 symptoms.
Book a slot to visit the Household Waste Recycling Centre here.
For more information about the new rules at the HWRC see the Household Waste Recycling Centre Re-opening Frequently Asked Questions.
Vans Visiting the HWRC
- Vans will be able to access the site daily between 1.30pm – 3.30pm on a pre-booked basis only
- No pre-booked slot no access
- The cost of the permit is £5.00 per visit. To book a permit please contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200
For more information on the booking permit system see the frequently asked questions about the van permit scheme here.
What can be recycled at the site?
- Paper (if shredded then please bag), cardboard, glass, cans and tins, clothing, shoes, textiles, plastic bottles, ferrous and non ferrous metal waste, wood, car batteries, white goods and fridges, large domestic appliances and small domestic appliances (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment).
- Grass, hedge and tree cuttings are also accepted for composting.
- We also collect items such as bicycles that can be reused.
- Rubble and hardcore are also accepted for reuse, though limited to small household quantities (this material must be bagged).
Please keep all these waste streams clean and separated.
What other materials are accepted?
Paint, thinners, used car oil, chemical treatments and tyres are also accepted. Please note - these materials need to be disposed of safely, please telephone the council for more information on how to use these facilities.
If you are considering dismantling a structure that you believe contains asbestos, in the first instance please contact the Food and Health Safety enforcement team on 01633 647623, or for further advice please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.
Alternatively if you wish to dispose of small amounts of asbestos at the Household Waste Recycling Centre you must contact Call Torfaen on 01495 762200.
What cannot be recycled at the site?
Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam are not accepted at the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Other than batteries, tyres and engine oil the site cannot accept any automotive parts.
DIY/renovation waste is not permitted into the Household Waste Recycling Centre in any type of vehicle (van, trailer or car). If you want to deposit this type of waste you should:
- Obtain a skip
- Pay the weighbridge costs to FCC Environmental at the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Residents should contact FCC Environmental on 01495 755890 regarding their waste charges
- Use a private company which is an authorised waste carrier. The company must provide you with a waste transfer note which states where the waste is going for disposal.
DIY waste is defined as the waste produced as a result of a major renovation or DIY project to your property.
Examples of such projects include – renewing your bathroom suite or kitchen, digging up your garden to lay a patio, knocking down internal walls or chimney breasts. This is not an exhaustive list. If you have any queries, please contact a member of the waste team before attending the site.
Location and Opening Times
Household Waste Recycling Centre, Panteg Way, New Inn.
Mon-Sat - 7.30am to 5.00pm
Sun - 9.00am to 5.00pm
Last vehicle entry will be at the above closing time. Residents will have to prebook a visit to the site.
The site is open every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
Last Modified: 27/07/2020
Back to top