The Children and Families South 2 team have a vacancy for a Social Worker. We are a team that consists of a Team Manager, 1.5 Assistant Team Manager’s, 5 social workers, 1 Community Support Worker and 2 Family Intervention Workers. We, as a team, provide a range of services to support children and families in our community.
Are you an experienced social worker thinking of a change, or a newly qualified social worker / Student who is hoping to Qualify in 2023? If so, we welcome and encourage applications from you. As a student there is the opportunity to secure a post pending successful qualification and becoming employed within the team as a Community Support Worker until you qualify.
Join our supportive, experienced and committed Children and Families team for an opportunity to develop your assessment, planning and intervention skills to meet the needs of Children and Families, working with wider agencies and in partnership with others. Team members are all very experienced with the team currently being between 1 and 15 years post qualified.
You will be joining an innovative team and working in a progressive, committed and learning environment where practitioners are supported and valued.
Aside from the requirement of visits in the community, the team work together in the Studio, Old Cwmbran, at least three days per week (this can be more if wanted / pending need); working from home and using virtual platforms for the majority of meetings is supported. There are also the benefits of the Flexible working system which is a benefit to many and utilised well within the team.
We know it can be a demanding job, so we believe in nurturing our practitioners by providing a genuinely supportive environment; supervision is a priority as is the sharing of skills, knowledge and learning, as well as peer and independent clinical supervision. The Local Authority encourages and supports wider learning and post qualifying training programmes and study.
Torfaen is one of the only Local Authorities where Managers / Assistant Team Managers Chair, minute and set/review plans at Core group / Care and Support meetings; attend child protection conferences and will support in the Court Arena.
As a Social Worker you will: -
- Undertake all statutory duties in respect of children in need, child protection and looked after children
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of working with children and their families
- Formulate and implement care plans based on sound assessments
- Contribute to Inter-agency working
- You will be required to work closely with children and their families. You will manage a caseload of lower-level support as well as cases where children or young people are in need of care and support, looked after children or in the court arena
- You will be required to deliver relevant interventions in order to safeguard children and ensure their needs are met whilst also aiming to effect long-term positive change to improve the life experiences of vulnerable children and young people.
In return: -
- A supportive and planned induction programme, capturing the Children and Families Teams and partner agencies as well as other teams in Torfaen Children’s Services. Shadowing meetings / visits, gathering an understanding into process / procedure, the utilised database. Determining any additional support and/or training needs.
- We will provide you with a supportive environment to develop your knowledge and skills.
- You will receive monthly supervision and access to experienced practitioners/ mentoring in this field.
- Team Managers operate an open-door policy; they or their Assistant Team Managers will chair your meetings and can attend court with you. Senior Managers within the Authority are also accessible for advice and decision making.
- There are numerous training and learning opportunities that are catered to all experience levels of social workers – from newly qualified to management level in order to continue and further professional development; including strengths-based practise programmes that support our work with children and families.
This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure Application to the Disclosure & Barring Service and registration to the Care Council for Wales.
For an informal discussion regarding this vacancy please contact Kylie Bishop Team Manager Telephone Number 01495 766923 or Email Kylie.Bishop@torfaen.gov.uk.
Torfaen County Borough Council strive to be a fair, supportive and effective employer. The Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. The Council expects all employees, paid or unpaid, to share this commitment.