Petroleum Licence - Applying for a Licence

Petroleum Licence - Applying for a Licence
Licence Summary

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

Information and guidance on the law

Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 (as amended by DSEAR)


Guidance on petroleum safety is available from the Health and Safety Executive

How to apply

If you wish to obtain or renew a Petroleum Licence or to change the details of an existing licence, download a copy of the application for a licence to keep petroleum spirit/mixtures form here.


The licensing conditions are attached as notes at the bottom of the application form.

Application Fees

Download a copy of the Licence Fees.


Petroleum fees are set nationally.

The application process

The process of applying for a licence is relatively straightforward. Once you have completed the application form, we will arrange to visit you so that the standards of your premises can be assessed. If there are any areas where improvement is needed, we will provide you with the information you need to comply with the licensing conditions.


Once your premises are licensed, we will inspect annually when renewing your licence, and we may also carry out interim visits. As part of the licence process, you will need to update us with any changes to your business.


Please note that some details of your premises may be included on our web-site, and your details may also be shared with other statutory bodies as appropriate..

Does Tacit Approval apply?

Tacit approval does not apply to this licence, as it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us for an update on your application.


Please note that your application may take longer than 28 days to process, although most will be acknowledged, processed and completed within this timescale.

Appeals and Complaints

If your application is refused, or if you do not accept any of the licence conditions imposed as part of the approval, you should contact the officer dealing with your licence in the first instance. We will always inform you of the appeal procedures when refusing a licence, or on request. We will also inform you of our complaints procedure, should you feel that your application has been improperly processed.

Trade Associations

Trade associations are a good source of useful information.


Federation of Petroleum Suppliers


Petrol Retailers Association (PRA)

Please Note - Torfaen County Borough Council (The Council) is under a duty to protect the public funds which it administers and to this end may use the information you provide within Torfaen County Borough Council for the prevention and detection of fraud. The Council may also share this information with other bodies administering or in receipt of public funds solely for these purposes. For further information, visit the National Fraud Initiative area of the website.

Last Modified: 19/06/2023
For more information contact:

Commercial Services

Tel: 01633 647263


Back to top