Petroleum Licensing

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

Petroleum means any product of crude petroleum that has a flashpoint below 21°C. This includes petrol, benzene, pentane and any mixture that contains these products and has a flashpoint below 21°C. The definition doesn't include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils.

Sites licensed for the storage of petroleum are inspected to ensure that those storing and dispensing petrol do so in a safe manner that does not cause risk to the public or the environment. Our officers check the condition of the forecourt, ensuring in particular that there are no leaks and that fire precautions (including suitable equipment) are in place. The site records will be examined to check that the storage tanks are being regularly monitored and that health and safety procedures are being followed.

If you need to licence a premises for the storage of petroleum or to change the details of an existing licence, the application forms and information you need may be found here.

Advice on storing and transporting petrol for domestic users can be found here.

If you are worried about a business or other premises that you think may need to be licensed but isn’t, or is licensed but not being properly maintained, you should contact us so that we can carry out an investigation.

If you have a consumer complaint about goods or services you have purchased from a licensed premises, we would always advise that the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre. Please note that these matters usually can not be dealt with as part of the licence, although our licensing officers may be able to give help and advice.

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Commercial Services

Tel: 01633 647263


Back to top