How often is the black box collected?
The black box is collected weekly.
What goes in the black box?
- Batteries, AAA, AA, B, C, D, DD and 9V
- Cartons (fruit juice, children’s drinks, UHT milk/milkshake, soup)
- Catalogues and telephone directories
- Clothes, textiles and paired shoes (please bag)
- Empty aerosols (no spray paint or industrial aerosols)
- Foil (clean)
- Food tins and drink cans
- Glass jars and bottles
- Newspapers, magazines and junk mail
- Plastic (e.g. yoghurt pots, ice cream and margarine tubs, microwave food trays, detergent bottles, plastic lids)
No thank you
- Broken glass
- Disposable nappies
- Plastic bags
- Polystyrene, plastic film, cling film
- Toys, flower pots, seed trays, coat hangers, crisp packets
- Wrapping paper
- Label your box
- Wash and squash items to fit more in and to keep your box clean
What day will my box be collected?
Use our mapping system to find your waste/recycling collection day.
If your box was at the collection point by 7am on the day of collection but was not emptied, please let us know immediately by completing the report a missed collection online form and we will make arrangements to collect it as soon as possible.
I have too much recycling for my black box, what can I do?
We can provide you with a second box. We are not currently delivering new recycling boxes or bags, but you can collect them for free from one of our hubs:
- Blaenavon Customer Care, Blaenavon Medical Centre, Middle Coed Cae Road (Monday to Friday 8am – 6.30pm)
- Noddfa Church, Abersychan (call 01495 448902 for opening times)
- Trac 2, Trevethin Shops, Trevethin (Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm)
- Civic Centre, Pontypool (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- Panteg House, Greenhill Road, Griffithstown (call 01495 763605 for opening times)
- The Coffee Bar, Woodland Road, Croesyceiliog (Monday to Friday 9am-3pm)
- The Threepenny Bit Community Centre, Greenmeadow (call for opening times 01633 869227)
- CoStar Hwb, 2 Fairwater Square, Fairwater Shops (Monday to Thursday 9.30am - 4pm, Friday 9.30am -1.30pm)
- Cwmbran Library
- Household Waste Recycling Centre in New Inn
What happens to my recycling?
Paper is used in newsprint, plastic is turned into sheeting and pipes, tins and cans go towards everything from cars to roller blind systems. Glass gets processed back into glass bottles and textiles are sorted and sold as clothes in the UK and overseas. The remainder is used for cleaning cloths and sound proofing.
Where does my recycling go?
Find out where your recycling goes by visiting My Recycling Wales
Last Modified: 24/05/2023
Back to top