Posted on: Thursday 19 January 2023
Torfaen Council’s Play Service is launching six new clubs aimed at helping more children across the borough to have more fun!
The new services include play and mindfulness clubs which feature yoga and nature based activities, as well as a young carers group and two after-school clubs.
Julien Davenne, Torfaen Play Service manager, said: “We are delighted to offer these new services which will further increase the opportunities children and young people have to play in Torfaen.
“We are also very pleased to introduce a new Welsh Language after-school club at Ysgol Panteg, in Griffithstown, as well as new sessions for young carers in the north of the borough.
“These services are in addition to the hundreds of play sessions our teams of play workers and volunteers provide every month and demonstrates our ongoing support of the Welsh Government’s commitment to increase play opportunities for all children”.
The six new clubs are:
- Play and Mindfulness Club – Tuesdays from 4:30pm-5:30pm at The Old Abersychan Library for 8 - 11-year-olds and every Thursday, 4:30pm-5:30pm at Greenmeadow and St Dials Community Hall for 8 to 11-year-old.
- Maendy afterschool club - every Tuesday until 4:30pm for pupils in years 5 and 6.
- Ysgol Panteg after school club – every Thursday until 4:30pm for pupils in years 4 and 5.
- Young Carers of the North - every other Thursday, 4:30pm-6:00pm for young carers aged 5-11 years. (A referral is required)
- Victory Church – weekend play session - every Saturday from 9:30am-11:15am
- Abersychan Family Play Session – Mondays from 1:00pm-2:30pm at Old Abersychan Library, Brynteg, Abersychan.
The new Abersychan Family Play Session is in addition to the 7 Family Play Sessions that already run on a weekly basis from various community settings. No pre-booking is required for these sessions and they are delivered free of charge.
The new provisions detailed above will start the week beginning the 23 January.
To book your child on any of the clubs mentioned above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The new sessions are in addition to the existing services provided by Torfaen Play Service, including community play clubs, Go Play, weekend play and respite, lego club, food and fun camps, projects linked to schools and half term and summer provisions.
Many of the play projects are supported by volunteers. The Volunteer Youth Project is now open for summer recruitment.
If you are aged 16+ and you would like to volunteer with the Play Service this summer, please complete our online form here, or email email@example.com for more information.
To find out more information about all the new and existing play provisions operating across Torfaen visit the Torfaen Council website, Family Information Service or Chwarae Torfaen Play on social media. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org