Pupil Development Grants
The Welsh Government has introduced a grant to assist families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
The funding is available to pupils who attend maintained schools and are eligible for free school meals (not transitionally protected – please see the Free School Meals section of our website for further information) or are looked after, entering:
- Reception in September 2020
- Year 3 in September 2020
- Year 7 in September 2020
- Year 10 in September 2020
- Pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or aged 11 in September 2020
Funding of up to £125 is available for each eligible learner with the exception of those in Year 7. Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.
The Funding is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age. In a change from the previous year’s arrangements, the local authority in which the ‘looked after child’ attends school is responsible for using the grant.
Pupils with no recourse to public funds entering reception, Year 3, Year 7, and Year 10 in the 2020-21 school year are entitled to assistance under this Funding.
Pupils who receive Free School Meals due to transitional protection arrangements do not qualify for this funding.
Payments will be issued based on automated eligibility checks and these checks will be carried out on a regular basis. The payment will normally be made in to your bank account, we may need to contact you to obtain this information.
If you become eligible during the financial year or have any further queries, please contact the Benefits Team on 01495 742291 or 742377.
Last Modified: 09/07/2020
Back to top