Pupil Development Grants
The Welsh Government has introduced a grant to assist families on low incomes with the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs;
- Laptops, IT equipment to support school work
The funding is available to pupils who attend maintained schools and are eligible for free school meals entering:
- Reception in September 2021
- Year 1 in September 2021
- Year 3 in September 2021
- Year 5 in September 2021
- Year 7 in September 2021
- Year 8 in September 2021
- Year 9 in September 2021
- Year 10 in September 2021
- Year 11 in September 2021
The funding is also available to the following pupils who are eligible for free school meals:
- Pupil’s with no recourse to public funds entering the above school years in September 2021
- Pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 in September 2021
- All ‘looked after children’ of compulsory school age. The Local Authority in which the ‘looked after child’ attends school is responsible for issuing the grant
Funding of up to £125 is available for each eligible learner with the exception of those in Year 7. Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.
Pupils who receive Free School Meals due to transitional protection arrangements do not qualify for this funding. Please refer to the Free School Meals section of our website for further information.
Payments will be issued based on automated eligibility checks and these checks will be carried out on a regular basis. The payment will normally be made in to your bank account, we may need to contact you to obtain this information.
If you become eligible during the financial year or have any further queries, please contact the Benefits Team on 01495 742291 or 742377.
Last Modified: 14/07/2021
Back to top