Get help with school essentials
If you are the parent or guardian of a child in education from Reception to year 11, you may be eligible for a grant to help to pay for essential school items.
The official name of this grant is the School essentials grant.
You may also know it as the Pupil Development grant, PDG Access or the Uniform grant.
How much is it
The grant amount for the 2023 to 2024 school year is:
- £125 for eligible children
- £200 for children in year 7
How you can use it
You can use the grant to pay for:
- school uniforms, coats and footwear
- sports equipment and kit
- equipment for school activities, including musical lessons, outdoor learning and after school clubs
- classroom essentials, including pens, pencils and school bags
- equipment and materials for new subjects or courses
You may be eligible if you are a parent or guardian of a child in education from Reception to year 11, and you receive one of these benefits:
- Income support
- Jobseeker's Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
- Help under Immigration and Asylum Seekers Act 1999
If you receive Universal Credit, your household earnings must be less than £7,400 a year after tax. This does not include any income from benefits.
You may be eligible if you have no recourse to public funds (NRPF).
All children in care are eligible.
You might also be eligible for:
You can apply from 1 July 2023 to 31 May 2024.
You will need your:
- contact information
- child's school name
- national insurance number (if available)
- bank details (if available)
You can only apply once for each child in a year.
Apply for a School Essentials Grant
If you have any questions about your application or need help to apply, you can:
Please note: Pupils who receive Free School Meals due to transitional protection arrangements or under the Universal Free School Meal scheme do not qualify for this funding. Please refer to the Free School Meals section of our website for further information.
Last Modified: 11/10/2023
Back to top