Council Tax

Council Tax is a locally set tax that is payable on all domestic properties. In most cases there will be one bill per property, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

It is collected to help pay for local services such as schools, roads, libraries, police and rubbish collection, as well as many other local services.

The basic Council Tax bill is made up of two parts, 50% property and 50% personal. The 50% personal part is based on the assumption that two or more adults live in the property. If only one adult is living in the property, it is possible to claim a 25% discount. Other types of reductions and discounts are available depending on the circumstances of the household. If the property is unoccupied you may be entitled to an exemption depending on the circumstances.

Who has to pay the tax?

The person who should pay the bill is the one who comes highest up on the following list.

  • The person who owns the freehold of the property and lives in it.
  • The person who owns the leasehold of the property and lives in it.
  • A statutory or secure tenant.
  • The person who has a contractual licence to live in the property.
  • Other people who live in the property.
  • The owner (this applies if nobody lives in the property and in certain other circumstances).

We only count people who are 18 years or over who live in the property as their only or main home.

How much do I have to pay?

This depends on the valuation band your home is in. The lower the band, the less you are charged. The actual amount is set in March of each year.

How can I pay?

You can pay the bill in monthly instalments. You will find details of this with your bill. The most convenient way is by direct debit or via the Internet.

To inform us if you have recently changed your address please use the Change of Address Service.

Last Modified: 04/03/2024
For more information contact:

Revenues & Benefits

Tel: 01495 766129


Back to top