Off-road Biking

If you ride your off-road motor vehicle around Torfaen the chances are that you are breaking the law.

Where are you riding it? Are you allowed to ride there? How are you transporting the vehicle to the riding place?

Mini motorbikes and trial bikes are getting more and more popular and it is important that people become aware of the restrictions around riding these bikes on the roads and on public land before they make this very expensive purchase.

Gwent Police and Torfaen County Borough Council receive calls each week from members of the public wishing to report off-road vehicles driving around the countryside. Vehicles such as moto cross bikes, trial bikes, mini-motos, quad bikes and any other mechanically propelled vehicle which are built for use off-road and should not be used on public roads and pavements or in public spaces.

If you want to ride, make sure you follow these guidelines to ensure you ride legally:

  • You Must Not: Ride on public land, parks, pavements and pathways
  • You Must Not: Ride unlicensed bikes on public roads
  • You Must: Always use a van or trailer to transport the off-road vehicle to the legitimate riding area. There are currently no legitimate areas in Torfaen but we are working on a solution to this.

If you do not follow the guidelines you will be breaking the law. You run the risk of:

  • Your bike being seized and crushed
  • Receipt of a heavy fine
  • If you are able to reclaim your bike after seizure, expect a charge of more than £100
  • Points on your driving licence or on your parents driving licence
  • Disqualification
  • Imprisonment
  • An Anti-Social Behaviour Order
  • An unlimited civil claim
  • Serious injury to yourself and others

What you can do to help

Torfaen County Borough Council has set up an anonymous form where anyone can log on and report incidents of off-road biking anonymously and the Police will follow them up.

There are over 80 tracks around the UK. If you would like more information on how to ride legally please contact the Auto-cycle Union who are the governing body for the sport. They will be able to provide you with details of regional venues and latest news. Email or visit

Last Modified: 02/02/2022
For more information contact:

Public Services Support Unit - Community Safety

Tel: 01495 762200

Back to top