Stray Animals

Unfortunately, Torfaen Council is no longer able to collect stray farm animals such as sheep, cattle, horses, goats and pigs from the highway or other public places.

Councillors took this decision with regret, as they understand how much inconvenience stray animals can cause to local motorists, residents and businesses. However, changes in the law affecting how farm animals are transported and kept meant that seizing stray animals had become expensive and time consuming, and it was therefore impractical to maintain this service.

There is no legal duty on the authority to deal with stray animals other than dogs.

The dog warden service is unaffected by the decision to stop collecting stray farm animals. Information on dealing with stray dogs is available.

If you are affected by straying farm animals, there are some steps you can take.

  • If the animals are on the highway and are causing a clear danger to road users, the Police should be informed – and they will liaise with out Highways department to remove the animals where necessary.
  • If the stray animals are on your land, you have the right to detain the animals and to recover any costs for damage etc from the owner of the animals – a copy of our leaflet on your rights as a landowner is available.

Contacting us

If you have lost a farm animal in the Torfaen area or wish to find out who owns an animal, you should contact our Animal and Pest Control Service on 01633 647622 or email

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Animal & Pest Control

Tel: 01633 647622


Back to top