Temporary Event Notice - Applying for a Licence

Temporary Event Notice - Applying for a Licence
Licence Summary

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.


Unless you submit an electronic application you must also give a copy of the notice to the police at the time of submission to the Licensing Authority.


You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.


Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours (one week) with a minimum of 24 hours between events.


The Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 received Royal assent in September 2011.  This has resulted in changes to Temporary Events Notices issued under the Licensing Act 2003.  There are now 2 types of TEN’s;


  • A standard notice is given with at least 10 clear working day’s notice
  • A late notice is given with between 5 and 9 clear working day’s notice
Eligibility Criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.


The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.


The notice should contain:


  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information
  • the fee of £21

The matters referred to above are:


  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters
Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process
  • 2 copies need to be submitted to the Licensing Authority (including the fee).  On the same day, a copy of the notice must be served on the Police and the Council Environmental Health Officer
  • The Police and Environmental Health Officers can  both make objections to TEN’s within 3 working days of receipt where they consider the proposed activities are likely to undermine any of the 4 key Licensing Objectives
  • If an objection is received in relation to a TEN (and not withdrawn) a licensing panel will need to determine the notice.  If the notice is in connection with licensed activities at licensed premises, the panel may also impose one or more of the existing licensing conditions on the TEN
  • There is a limit on the number of TENs that a person may apply for in a 12 month period.  This is currently 50 for personal alcohol licence holders & 5 for non personal alcohol licence holders)
  • “Late TEN’s” can be given up to 5 working days but no earlier than 9 working days before the event is scheduled.
  • Late TEN’s count towards the TEN limit described above. In addition, personal alcohol licence holders may submit no more than 10 late TENs in a calendar year, while non personal alcohol licence holders may submit no more than 2 late TENs in a calendar year

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the local authority at least ten clear working days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice.


The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.


Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department no later than ten working days before the event period.


The chief police officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 48 hours of receipt of the temporary event notice.


The local licensing authority  may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.


A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.


Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Does Tacit Approval apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Apply onlineEUGO logo 

If you wish to apply for a licence or change the details of an existing licence, you can apply for a temporary event notice at gov.uk.


An information sheet can be downloaded here. A List of Consultees is also available.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

There is no provision for a hearing to be held if an objection is received

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Other Redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade Associations

Please Note - Torfaen County Borough Council (The Council) is under a duty to protect the public funds which it administers and to this end may use the information you provide within Torfaen County Borough Council for the prevention and detection of fraud. The Council may also share this information with other bodies administering or in receipt of public funds solely for these purposes. For further information, visit the National Fraud Initiative area of the website.

Last Modified: 01/03/2022
For more information contact:

Licensing Team

Tel: 01633 647286

Email: licensing@torfaen.gov.uk 

Back to top