Ceremonies Abroad

If you are planning to hold your ceremony overseas, you must firstly contact the Local Authority in the country in which you want to get married to clarify the legal requirements for your Marriage or Civil Partnership to take place.

You may be asked to obtain documentation from the United Kingdom authorities. If you are asked to get a document called a Certificate of No Impediment, then the Registration Service is usually able to provide this for you. Each country sets different expiry dates for this certificate. You would need to check with the authority in that country to establish this information before contacting us.

Your marriage or civil partnership should be recognised in the UK if you follow the correct process according to local law - you won’t need to register it in the UK.

A fee is payable for this service.

If you require any further guidance, please contact the office on 01495 742132 or email: registrars@torfaen.gov.uk where staff will be happy to help.

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:


Tel: 01495 742132

Email: registrars@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top