Concessionary Bus Pass

Am I entitled to a pass?

There are two types of bus passes that can be applied for:

  • Disabled Bus Pass; and
  • Over 60’s bus pass

both are referred to as Concessionary Bus Passes.

If you live in the Torfaen or Blaenau Gwent County Borough areas and are aged 60 years or over; then you are automatically entitled to a bus pass.

If you are under 60, to qualify for a Disabled Bus Pass, you must meet one of the following criteria:-

  • Be in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (with higher rate mobility content);
  • In receipt of PiP, parts 11 & 12;
  • In receipt of a war pensioner's mobility supplement;
  • Be registered blind, partially sighted, profoundly or severely deaf;
  • Without arms or without the use of both arms;
  • Without speech;
  • Registered as having a learning disability;
  • Unable to drive a motor car due to a medical condition other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

If you meet the above criteria and are able to provide evidence to support this, you will be entitled to a pass. A pass will enable you to travel free on all local bus services. Your free travel pass will be valid from the date of issue and will be valid all day, every day not only in Torfaen, but also for travel throughout Wales.

Where and when can I use my pass? 

Your pass will be valid for cross border journeys into England provided that your journey is unbroken and starts or finishes in Wales.

If you are unable to travel independently and need assistance to make use of public transport, an additional concession may be issued for a necessary travelling companion. You will normally need to supply independent medical evidence to support this.

Will my pass cost me anything?

Your travel pass will be issued free of charge, however there is a charge of £10 for replacing any lost, stolen, damaged, worn or faulty passes.

How do I use my pass? 

Travel using your pass, is subject to the rules and regulations of the operators providing the service. You will need to show your pass to the driver when you board the bus to receive your concession.

It must be shown to an inspector if requested. Failure to show your pass will result in the concession being refused and the fare for the journey being charged. The pass does not give you any rights other than those enjoyed by any fare-paying passenger.

Your pass remains the property of the Torfaen Integrated Transport Unit and may be withdrawn by the Council or the operator if misused.

How do I obtain my pass? 

You can apply for your bus pass on the Transport for Wales website. We are currently unable to offer help through our Customer Care Centres but if you have any queries you can contact 01495 742744.

Proof of entitlement for Disabled Persons Bus Pass (Under 60)

  • A recent passport size photograph (Full face)
  • Proof of residence such as a Council Tax bill, phone bill or gas bill
  • Proof of entitlement :
    • If you are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or PiP you will need to show your valid entitlement award letter
    • If you are registered blind, partially sighted, or profoundly deaf, you need to obtain proof of this
    • If you are without speech or without the use of both arms you will need to supply medical evidence to support your application
    • If you are unable to drive due to a medical condition you will need to supply a letter of verification from the DVLA or your doctor.

Proof of entitlement for Over 60

No evidence is required, you will need to call into one of our Customer Care Offices and ask for an Over 60’s application form. You will need to complete the application form yourself, it will require your name, address, DOB, NI Number / or Passport Number. You will need to attach 1 passport size photograph to the form and sign/date.

Processing Applications

All applications are processed by Torfaen Integrated Transport Unit, Ty Blaen Torfaen, Panteg Way, New Inn, Pontypool Torfaen NP4 0LS.

Lost / Damaged Bus Passes

Lost, stolen, damaged, worn or faulty passes can be replaced at a cost of £10.  You can apply for a replacement concessionary bus pass here.

Last Modified: 13/12/2023
For more information contact:

Torfaen Integrated Transport Unit

Tel: 01495 742744



Torfaen Customer Services

Tel: 01495 762200


Back to top