Electric Vehicle Charge Points

Where have public charge points been installed?

Charge points have been installed in the following car parks in Torfaen:

  • Trosnant Street Lower Car Park, Pontypool, NP4 8AT
  • Clarence Place Car Park, Pontypool,  NP4 8AU
  • Station Road, Griffithstown, NP4 5JL
  • Llanyrafon Car Park, Cwmbran, NP44 8HR
  • Fairwater Square Neighbourhood Centre, Cwmbran NP44 4TA
  • Abersychan Neighbourhood Centre, NP4 7AG
  • James Street, Blaenavon, NP4 9EJ

Where can I find information about other charge point locations?

The best way to search for charge points is to use Zap Map and zoom in to the relevant location.

How do you charge an electric vehicle?

Charging an electric vehicle is a simple process which requires a compatible plug-to-plug cable which should be supplied with your vehicle.

Creating an account

Access to charging is provided by an RFID card or via a smart phone application. The charging starts automatically and stops automatically when the car is fully charged. The charging can be interrupted or stopped at any time simply by presenting the RFID card or by providing a command to the equipment via a smart phone application.

To set up an account visit the Dragon Charging website.

How to operate the charge point

Instructions on how to operate the charge points will be printed in English and Welsh and displayed clearly on each charge post.

Please see guidance below on how to operate the charge point and start a charging session. If you encounter any issues with your charging session, please contact the Dragon Charging Network customer helpline: 01834 474480.

Electric Vehicle Charge Point Colour Sequence

Maintenance and reporting problems

Silverstone Green Energy maintain and operate the chargers that are part of the Dragon Charging Network on behalf of the council.

To report any problems with a charge point use the 24 hour Dragon Charging Network customer helpline: 01834 474480.

How do we prevent the parking spaces being used by vehicles other than EVs?

The Council has introduced a Traffic Regulation Order limiting the use of the bays to electric vehicles only, for a maximum stay of 4 hours. Traffic Regulation Orders allow the Council to enforce the regulations set out in that order. If there is an issue where users are unable to access the charge points due to non EV cars parking in the bays we have the ability to take enforcement action. This action could be that our Civil Enforcement officers issue a Penalty Charge Notice to vehicles contravening the traffic regulation order.

How much does it cost?

The latest cost to charge your vehicle is on the Dragon Charging App. Drivers need to sign up to the Dragon Charging Network to use the charge points and payments can be made via the app or using an RFID card. Once signed up to the Dragon Charging Network users can request a new RFID card or register any other RFID card that they already have to their account. This will allow you to start a charge quickly and simply by touching it to the charger after plugging your car in. Please see the link below for more information on the Dragon Charging Network.

Once users have joined the Dragon Charging Network they will also have access to the Genie Network which has in excess of 400 charges UK wide. If you already have a Geniepoint account then you can already access the dragon chargers using your Geniepoint account or card.

What type of information will the charge point units collect and how will it be used?

Charge point units collect information related to charge point use frequency and electricity usage. The data is anonymous and is collected and transmitted (using encryption) to a Charge Point Management System (CPMS). Charge point unit hosts are able to access anonymous data relating to use of their equipment.

What are the different charging speeds of charge point units?

We have installed charging units that will charge up to 22kW. Charging times will depend on your electric vehicle type and its charging capacity. Charging rates depend on the number of charge points being used at each site. The charger may provide a reduced rate if all the charge points at a site are being used at the same time.

How were the electric vehicle charge points funded?

Gwent Local Authorities were awarded grant funding from the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) to cover up to 75% of the costs to install electric vehicle charge points in car parks in residential areas. The Local Authorities match funded the remaining 25% costs for their sites.

Last Modified: 06/07/2022
For more information contact:

Dragon Charging Network
Tel: 01834 474480

Back to top