How do I apply for planning permission?

The need to apply for planning permission is governed by legislation laid down by Central Government. Guidance on applying for planning permission can be found on or by contacting us at Ty Blaen Torfaen, New Inn, Pontypool using the details provided on this page.

Before you apply for planning permission, we strongly advise you to consider making a pre-application enquiry with us which will identify relevant policies, provide an initial assessment of your proposal and the information that will be needed to submit a planning application. Our pre-application guidance note, pre-application form and pre-application fees can be found here. A planning officer is unfortunately no longer available for duty officer consultations, although will of course will be contactable in the role of case officer for their allocated planning applications/pre-application enquiries. Please arrange all meeting appointments (office or site) through the relevant officer named on your correspondence. 

For further information, or to obtain assistance please call 01633 648095 or email us using and we will attempt to assist you as appropriate.

Types of Application

You can seek advice and also apply for planning permission through the national planning portal.

Hard copy Planning Application forms are available from the planning office located at: 

Planning and Public Protection, Torfaen County Borough Council, Ty Blaen Torfaen, Panteg Way, New Inn, Pontypool, Torfaen, NP4 0LS.

For details of all application types and their requirements for submission, please refer to our Planning Forms page for information and submission instructions which has PDF versions of the application forms and guidance, along with the options for submission through the Planning Portal.

Planning Charges

The appropriate fee must also accompany the application before it can be determined. Our current fee schedule is available from our Planning Forms page which also gives details on categories which are exempt from planning fees or have similar concessions. This information is also available from the planning office. 

The Planning Register 

Details of each application, and of the Local Planning Authority's decision, are entered in the planning register and may be viewed by the public during office hours (8:30am - 5:00pm Mon – Thurs, 8:30am - 4:30pm Fri). The Weekly List of applications are available for viewing on the Planning Applications Weekly List page and a record of the Decisions made on planning applications can be found on the Planning Decisions page. All of this information is also available via our Planning Public Access Service.

Consultations & Determination

When a planning application has been registered, consultations are carried out with statutory bodies and internal departments. Applications affecting the character or appearance of a conservation area and certain major and/or contentious applications must be advertised in the local press and on site. Occupiers of adjoining land will be notified in most circumstances. Any comments must be put in writing and will be available for the public to view at the planning office. The Planning Committee meets every four weeks and deals with the larger or more complex applications. Those who have objected to an application which is being reported to committee may make their objections in person to the planning committee in accordance with the Council’s guidance on third party speaking rights. Full listings of Planning Committee meeting dates, item agendas, minutes and reports can be found on the Council & Democracy pages of this website. Most planning applications are dealt with under delegated powers.

Time Limits

The majority of planning applications are determined within eight weeks of receipt of a valid application unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time. Approved development must normally be carried out within 5 years of the decision date and this will be made clear as conditions on the decision notice.

Planning Appeals

Applicants may appeal against refusal of permission, the Council not making a decision in the required timescale or a condition of a planning permission. Any appeals may be made to the Welsh Ministers under Sections 78 and 79 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. Guidelines for appealing are found on the reverse of the planning decision notice.

Planning Aid 

Planning Aid Wales is an independent charity providing advice and support on all aspects of land use planning in Wales. Visit the Planning Aid Wales website or call the planning helpline service on 02920 625 000 for more information. If you have a query relating to planning you may alternatively contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Health and Safety Executive

If you are a business having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and you may have other duties as well.

Last Modified: 31/05/2023
For more information contact:

Planning Services

Tel: 01633 648095


Back to top