When do I need planning permission?

You may need planning permission to:

  • construct a new building or structure (including hardstandings or patios)
  • extend or alter an existing building
  • make changes to the way a building is used, for example turning a house into flats or making an industrial building into a shop
  • undertake engineering work or other works on or under land
  • demolish a building or structure
  • carry out work on a listed building
  • carry out work in a conservation area
  • carry out work on protected trees or trees in a conservation area
  • build new agricultural buildings

In addition, the planning system deals with works to listed buildings, works to protected trees and trees in conservation areas as well as controlling the display of signs through the advertisement regulations.

Carrying out works without the necessary approvals may result in enforcement action being taken.

Permitted developments

There are some minor improvements, alterations and extensions you can make to your house that you don’t need planning permission for. These can include construction of some types of porch, glass conservatories under a certain size and also some internal changes. These are called ‘permitted developments.’

You can get more advice about permitted developments from the Planning Portal. Make sure you have selected Wales on the top right of the page on the portal so that the information and regulations are correct for Wales.

Further advice

For more information contact Development Management:

Email: planning@torfaen.gov.uk
Tel: 01633 648095

Write to: Head of Development Management, Torfaen County Borough Council, Planning & Public Protection, Tŷ Blaen Torfaen, Panteg Way, New Inn, Pontypool, NP4 0LS.

Last Modified: 31/05/2023
For more information contact:

Development Management

Tel: 01633 648095

Email: planning@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top