Support for people affected by Dementia
Last Modified: 28/01/2022
Back to top
- We were the first Dementia Friendly library service in Wales and our staff are "Dementia Friends".
- Reading Well for Dementia Book Collection – selected for people affected by dementia including carers, relatives and friends. Titles include information and advice, as well as fiction, memoir and photographic books used for reminiscence therapies. This collection supports the Dementia Action Plan for Wales.
- 'Pictures to Share' illustrated books. A selection of beautiful, powerful and amusing images and words that aid communication and memories.
- Memory Bags – designed for one to one use with a person affected by dementia. The items contained in the bags can be used to stimulate conversation and reminiscence. Items include films, music, photographs, old adverts, poems and aromas.
- 'Therapeutic' shared reading sessions delivered in community settings.
- Read to Me Service - shared reading on a 1:1 basis delivered by volunteers in people’s homes.
- Carers Collection - a selection of books to assist carers in their caring role and also to care for themselves. Subjects include health & well-being, building self-esteem, beauty, cookery & spirituality.
- Regular family history sessions.
- Dementia-friendly community room at Cwmbran Library (available for hire).