Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act regulates scrap metal dealers, collectors and motor salvage operators.  The Act replaces all of  the existing legislation for motor salvage operators and scrap metal dealers. 

There are 2 types of licence:

  1. A scrap metal dealers licence for those who operate a premises that receive scrap metal or vehicles.  For businesses with multiple sites, this will include each site manager.
  2. A collectors licence for those who collect metal from an area to sell at a dealer.

Applying under the Act

Torfaen County Borough Council’s Cabinet  approved the procedure and fees for the 3 year licences which can be found on our Licence Fees page.

All applications must be accompanied by:-

  • The relevant fee  
  • A basic DBS check for every person named in the application, which is dated less that 3 months from the date of issue (see info below),
  • A passport style photograph of every person named on the application.  

All applicants and named persons are required to prove their identity by means of a photographic identification, e.g. a passport or photo card driving licence, and a utility bill. It is therefore necessary that your application is given to the licensing team in person. Your identity and your DBS certificate will be checked and copied then immediately returned to you.  Please discuss these requirements with a licensing officer if you are unsure what to bring in with your application.

Please contact the Licensing Team for assistance or advice with your application on 01633 647286 or 647286.


If scrap metal is a by-product of your business you may be exempt from the need to be licensed, it will be necessary for you to prove the proportion of your business that consists of dealing in scrap metal.  Examples of businesses that may be able to claim exemption are:

Builders, plumbers, electricians, motor vehicle repair garages, and engineering workshops -  Where scrap metal is recovered or produced as the result of the main purpose of the business. 

Please contact the licensing team to discuss your business to establish if you may be exempt.

Mobile Collectors

Mobile Collectors  who work in different council areas will have to apply for a collectors licence in each of those areas - you must contact the relevant council to obtain an application form.  If you do not apply to each council you intend to collect in you will not be able to trade in that area.  

Every person working on a vehicle collecting scrap metal must be licensed unless they are properly employed by a business licensed for a site or as a collector.

DBS Certificate

Before you apply, you and every person listed on the application form need to obtain a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland. You can apply for this certificate at  GOV.UK    

A Basic Disclosure Certificate is only valid for 3 months from the date of issue, but can be used to apply to as many councils as you want within that time.

Application Forms

An application for a scrap metal licence form and guidance notes is available for your information.  You may request advice and assistance from the licensing officers if you wish. 

PLEASE NOTE:  The information given here is based on our understanding of the information available at this time, and is to provide you with advanced notification of the requirements of the new Act.  As more information and guidance is produced by the Home Office we will update.  

Last Modified: 11/05/2022
For more information contact:


Tel: 01633 647286


Back to top