Scrap Metal Licence

The dealing in scrap metal or the running of a scrap metal business is controlled by the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

The UK Government passed the Scrap Metal Dealers Act in 2013 with the intention of regulating scrap metal dealers, collectors and motor salvage operators.  The Act replaced all of the existing legislation for motor salvage operators and scrap metal dealers. 

All applications must be accompanied by:-

  • The relevant fee (see the Licence Fees table), 
  • A basic DBS check for every person named in the application, which is less than 3 months from the date of issue (see info below),
  • A passport style photograph of every person named on the application.  

All applicants and named persons will be required to prove their identity by means of a photographic identification, e.g. a passport or photo card driving licence and a utility bill. It is therefore necessary that your application is given to the licensing team in person. Your identity and your DBS certificate will be checked and copied then immediately returned to you. Please discuss these requirements with a licensing officer if you are unsure what to bring in with your application.

Please contact the Licensing Team for assistance or advice with your application on  01633 647286 or call in to the office between 9:00 am and 3:30 pm Monday to Friday and ask to speak to a licensing officer.  We are located in Panteg Way, New Inn, just before the Council’s waste recycling site.

There are two licences: one is a site licence for scrap metal dealers and/or motor salvage operators, the other is a collector’s licence for mobile collectors, both of which will be valid for 3 years.  You will be required to obtain one of these licences in order to trade in scrap metal.


If scrap metal is a by-product of your business you may be exempt from the need to be licensed, it will be necessary for you to prove the proportion of your business that consists of dealing in scrap metal.  Examples of businesses that may be able to claim exemption are:-

Builders, plumbers, electricians, motor vehicle repair garages, and engineering workshops. Where scrap metal is recovered or produced as the result of the main purpose of the business. 

Please contact the licensing team to discuss your business to establish if you may be exempt.

Mobile Collectors

Mobile Collectors  who work in different council areas will have to apply for a collectors licence in each of those areas- you must contact the relevant council to obtain an application form.  If you do not apply to each council you intend to collect in you will not be able to trade in that area.  

Every person working on a vehicle collecting scrap metal must be licensed unless they are properly employed by a business licensed for a site or as a collector.

DBS Certificate

Before you apply, you and every person listed on the application form needs to obtain a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland. You can apply for this certificate at GOV.UK   

A Basic Disclosure Certificate is only valid for 3 months from the date of issue, but can be used to apply to as many councils as you want within that time.

Application Forms

An application for a scrap metal licence form and guidance notes is available for your information. 

Office Opening Hours

The opening hours for personal callers to the office at New Inn for the licensing team are Monday to Friday between 9:00 am and 12:00 midday. Where this causes difficulties, in exceptional circumstances, an appointment can be made to visit outside of these hours. Please contact the office to arrange this. We are available on the telephone (01633 647286) between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm.

If you are worried about a business or other premises that you think may not be meeting the required licensing standards, or is carrying out scrap metal dealing without a licence, you should contact us so that we can carry out an investigation.

Last Modified: 12/05/2022
For more information contact:

Licensing Team

Tel: 01633 647286


Back to top