Riding Establishments

The law requires anyone running a horse riding establishment to be licensed. 

This means that anybody planning to hire out horses or run a horse riding school MUST gain a local authority licence before they start their business.

These licences help to ensure that animals are properly looked after, by setting standards for the premises and for the level of care given. We regularly inspect these premises, and a vet accompanies us to ensure that animal welfare standards are met. 

Although licensing is mainly designed to protect horse welfare, we also carry out health and safety checks to help protect the safety of riders. 

If you would like to set up a horse riding establishment, the application forms and information you need can be found here.

If you are looking hire a horse or take horse riding lessons, you should make sure that the premises you use have their local authority licence on display, or you can contact us for details of licensed premises in the Torfaen area. 

If you have any queries or concerns about animal welfare or rider safety at a licensed premises, or are worried that a premises may be hiring out horses without a licence, please call us so that we can investigate and take action as necessary. We can also look at standards of care for horses generally, using our powers under Animal Welfare Act.

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Commercial Services

Tel: 01633 647263

Email: commercial.services@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top