Pet Shops

The law requires all pet sales to be licensed, whether they are at commercial or domestic premises as required under the Pet Animals Act 1951.

This means that anybody selling pets (other than for certain exempted activities, which we can explain in more detail on request) MUST gain a local authority licence before they start their business.

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (Wales) Regulations 2021 is due to have effect from 10th September 2021.  These regulations will change the licensing requirements for the sale of animals as pets in Wales, which includes the ban on the commercial third party sale of puppies and kittens. Further information will be published in due course.

Local authorities consider a number of factors when considering an application for a pet shop licence so that we can ensure:

  • that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
  • that any animals will not be sold too young
  • that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
  • that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
  • That the person applying for the licence is a fit and proper person

These licences help to ensure that animals are properly looked after, by setting standards for the premises and for the level of care given. We regularly inspect these premises for safety, and a vet accompanies us where appropriate to ensure that animal welfare standards are met. Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with. 

If you would like to set up a pet shop business, please download the application form, Standard Conditions and Pet Shop Schedule. Information on our fees is also available

It is important that you only buy your pet from licensed premises, as we make sure that the pets from these premises have been legally imported or properly breed, are healthy, and that you receive will receive good advice on looking after your pet. You should make sure that the premises you buy from have their local authority licence on display, or you can contact us (details below) for details of licensed premises in the Torfaen area.

If you have a complaint about a service that you have received from a pet shop, we would always advise that the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizen's Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre. 

If you have any queries or concerns about animal welfare at a licensed premises, or are worried that a premises may selling pets without a licence, please call us so that we can investigate and take action as necessary. We can also look at standards of care for pets generally using our powers under Animal Welfare Act.

Last Modified: 26/08/2021
For more information contact:


Tel: 01633 647286


Back to top