Home Adaptations

If you (or someone you care for) is disabled you or they may be eligible for adaptations to the home and facilities to enable you or the disabled person to continue to live there.

An adaptation is work carried out to the home of a disabled child or adult to:

  • remove or overcome obstacles which prevent them making full use of their home
  • to improve help with access to the home 

Minor adaptations cost less than £1,000 and include things like grab rails, threshold ramps, door entry systems and some electrical/plumbing works. 

Low Cost Grants can be applied to adaptations costing between £1,000 and £8,000 and could include things like a level access shower, pathway ramping or stair lifts

Major adaptations usually cost between £10,000 and £36,000 and improve access to your home and provide appropriate facilities, e.g. widening doors, installing ramps or adding a downstairs bathroom. You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant towards the cost of the works. You must apply for this grant before you start any work – you will not normally get a grant if you start work before the council approves the application. 

For more information on home adaptations see our summary of Torfaen adaptation assistance schemes including grants and loans leaflet.

Last Modified: 19/07/2022
For more information contact:

Social Services

Tel: 01495 762200

Email: social.services@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top