The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 requires businesses to ensure that no person under the age of 18 years:
- uses a sunbed
- is offered the use of a sunbed, or
- is present in a restricted zone.
A document Guidance on the implementation of the Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 has been produced by the Welsh Government which explains the requirements of the Act including the application of ‘restricted zones’ to premises.
In most cases, failure to comply with the Act is a criminal offence and a penalty of up to £20,000 may be applied.
Further controls will be introduced by the Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011 which will from 31 October 2011:
- require the supervision of sunbed use on all sunbed businesses
- prohibit the sale or hire of sunbeds to under 18s
- extend to businesses that operate from domestic premises the requirement that sunbeds are not used, or offered for use, to under 18s on those premises
- prescribe the health information that is to be displayed and made available to adults who may seek to use a sunbed
- require that all supervisors are competent and have adequate training
- prohibit the provision or display of any material relating to health effects of sunbed use, other than material containing the health information prescribed, and
- require the provision and wearing of safe and appropriate protective eyewear for adults.
For information and advice or to make a complaint or enquiry about a workplace contact:
Commercial Services Team
Last Modified: 05/12/2018
Back to top
Torfaen County Borough Council
Ty Blaen Torfaen