Caravan and Camping Site Licensing

The Council's Housing Safety and Environmental Protection Team is responsible for the issuing of caravan and camping site licences. An application can be made at any time to the Council for a site licence but will only be issued once planning permission has been granted.

The licence will contain conditions relating to health and safety, facilities and fire safety. There are three different sets of model conditions which will normally be used as a minimum depending on the type of caravans stationed on the site. The Council may also impose any other conditions it feels would be appropriate for an individual site or set of circumstances.

There is no charge for the licence. Regular inspections are undertaken by the Council of licensed caravan sites to ensure compliance with the licence conditions.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority. There are some exceptions.

The exemptions listed are broad descriptions and are not intended as legal definitions.

Reference should be made to Schedule One of the Act for a full description of the exemptions.

  • caravans located within the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to that dwelling
  • a single caravan used for not more than two consecutive nights for a total of no more than 28 days in the 12 months since the caravan was first brought to the land;
  • holdings of more than 5 acres where no more than 3 caravans are stationed for a maximum of 28 days in the 12 months since the caravan was first brought to the land
  • sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations
  • sites used for no more than 5 consecutive days by exempted organisations
  • caravans provided for agricultural and forestry workers
  • caravans located on building and engineering sites
  • travelling showmen
  • sites occupied by a local authority; and
  • gypsy sites provided by county councils or regional councils

A Public Register of Licensed Caravan Sites is kept by the Council's Housing Safety and Environmental Protection Team, and is reproduced below:

Register of Caravan Site Licenses



Mobile Homes Licensing

All mobile homes sites with permanent residential site tenants or occupiers must be licensed in accordance with the Mobile Homes (Wales) Act 2013.

The law is designed to give more rights and increased protections for mobile homeowners and tenants who live permanently on a residential site as well as further powers for local authorities to ensure that site owners are complying with the terms of their site licenses. If you are an owner or manager of a site which you believe requires licensing please contact us to discuss further or to request an application form.

A Public Register of Licensed Mobile Home Sites is kept by the Council’s Housing Safety and Environmental Protection Team, and is reproduced below:

Last Modified: 05/12/2023
For more information contact:

Commercial Services

Tel: 01633 647295


Back to top