Food Premises Registration

Most food business operators starting a new food business must apply for registration with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so. This allows the local authority to risk rate the premises, and to carry out an initial inspection if needed.

Certain type of food premises, generally manufacturers of products of animal origin, such as dairies, meat product manufacturers or wholesale fish markets are subject to product specific regulations. These premises need to be approved by their local authority instead of registered with them.

If you have a complaint about food you have bought from a food business, we would always advise that the first contact is made with the trader by you – most food businesses are happy to give a replacement or a refund.

We investigate food complaints, and may take action where those complaints have arisen through poor food hygiene etc. If you think this may be the case, advice on making a food complaint can be found here.

If you are located in the UK, Citizen's Advice Consumer Service can also give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you are worried about a food business that you think may not be registered as required or is not being properly and hygienically maintained, you should contact us so that we can carry out an investigation.

Last Modified: 27/02/2023
For more information contact:

Torfaen Business Direct

Tel: 01633 648735


Back to top