Housing and homelessness

f you are struggling to make your mortgage payments, the Citizens Advice website has information and advice.

If you are a social housing tenant and are struggling with your rent, contact your housing association landlord as soon as possible.  

If you are a private tenant, you can find help and advice on the Private Sector Housing page.

Discretionary Housing Payments 

For people on Universal Credit but still struggling to pay rent. For more information visit the Discretionary Housing Payments area of our website. 

Council tax reduction 

If you are on benefits or have a low-income you may be eligible for a reduction. For more information visit the Reductions and Discounts area of our website. 

Housing Support Grant  

A government funded programme which uses methods of early intervention to prevent homelessness, stabilise a person’s housing situation and encourage them to live independently. For more information, visit the Housing Support Grant page.


Drop-in service 

Are you worried about your housing situation? You can speak to someone at our drop-in services. For more information, visit the Homelessness Advice page.

Torfaen Housing Solutions

If you are at risk of eviction, you can also contact Torfaen Council’s Housing Solutions team 

Tel: 01495 742303 / 742301 or email: housingsolutions@torfaen.gov.uk 

Shelter Cymru 

For advice about renting, homelessness or debt support. If you are in need of urgent advice, call our urgent helpline: 08000 495 495, between 9.00am – 2.30pm Monday to Friday. Or if it is less urgent, you can use the free webchat service, 12.30pm – 4pm Monday – Friday. 

For details of local advisors visit sheltercymru.org.uk

Last Modified: 13/12/2022
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200

Email: your.call@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top