PN037 - Family Information Service Privacy Notice
Torfaen County Borough Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services. This Privacy Notice is designed to give you information about the data we hold about you, how we use it, your rights in relation to it and the safeguards in place to protect it.
TCBC Service Area: Children and Family Services
Work area: Early Years
Contact Details: Rhiannon Burgham
Privacy Notice Name: Torfaen Family Information Service
Data Controller: Torfaen County Borough Council, c/o Civic Centre, Pontypool, NP4 6YB
If you wish to raise a concern about the handling of your personal data, please contact the Data Protection Officer on 01495 762200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Collecting your data enhances the ability of Torfaen County Borough Council to co-ordinate and assess the supply and demand for sustainable childcare within the local authority.
Who provides your data to the Council?
The personal information we process is provided to us directly by you.
We also receive personal information indirectly from other professional organisations who have referred to us on your behalf. These may include, but not exhaustive to;
- Flying Start
- Families First
- Health Care Professionals
- Social Services
- Employability Teams
- Other Council Services
How does the Council collect this information?
- Verbally via telephone
- Social media messaging
- Torfaen Family Information Service Outreach Form ‘How can we help you’
- Via drop in service at Cwmbran Integrated Children’s Centre
- Via referral from other organisations
What information does the Council collect about you?
The Council collects and processes a range of information about you. This includes:
- Contact Number
- Age of Child
- In some instances we may ask for Child/Children’s photographs for the purposes of using them on the Family Information Service website – all individuals in any photographs/footage will have given their permission or have had consent from parents/carers to have their images used publicly prior to being uploaded onto the FIS website. A record of consent will be kept (date given, by whom and when) and also if consent is revoked (at which point images will be removed as soon as possible).
Why does the Council process your personal data?
Under Article 6 of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
(a) Your consent. This is required if you appear in photographs or videos used for promotional purposes. Consent only relates to the specific purpose for which it has been given and you can withdraw your consent at any time. We do not rely on consent as a lawful basis for any other processing.
(e) We need it to perform a public task.
The Council needs to process data to be able to provide a statutory service to meet the requirements of The Childcare Act 2006 sections 22, 26 and 27 through the Family Information Service.
Your data is also used for monitoring performance measures for Torfaen Family Information Service.
Special categories of personal data
We do not collect any special category or criminal data.
Who has access to your data?
Your information may be shared internally with relevant third party services in order to process your request for your families’ individual needs. The information you provide us with is held within an FIS database commissioned by DEWIS Cymru.
The Council shares your data with Welsh Government to report on the service. In this instance the data is anonymised.
Apart from where previously stated, we do not pass your details to third parties unless we are lawfully required do so.
Is the Data transferred out of the UK?
How does the Council keep your data secure?
The Council has internal policies in place to ensure the data it processes is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed. Access to this data is restricted in accordance with the Council’s internal policies and in compliance with the UK GDPR.
Data will be stored securely in:
- FIS database online commissioned by DEWIS Cymru
- Outreach forms are entered onto online database and destroyed
Where the Council engages third parties to process personal data on its behalf, they do so on the basis of written instructions. These third parties are also under a duty of confidentiality and are obliged to implement appropriate measures to ensure the security of data.
How long does the Council keep your data?
The Council will hold your personal data only for the period that is necessary and will follow organisational and Local Authority standards in this area. At the end of the retention period the Council will securely destroy or dispose of the data in line with retention schedules.
- We will delete your data after 18 months, if you re-engage with the service this will extend to another 18 months
Are we making automated decisions/profiling with your data?
You have a number of Rights you can exercise:
- Access - to obtain a copy of your data on request
- Rectification – to require the Council to change incorrect or incomplete data
- Object, Restrict or Delete - under certain circumstances you can require the Council to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing
- Data portability – to receive and/or transmit data provided to the Council to other organisations (this applies in limited circumstances)
- Withdraw your consent at any time (where consent has been given)
- To know the consequences of failing to provide data to the Council
- To know the existence of any Automated Decision-making, including profiling, and the consequences of this for you
- To lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (Information Commissioners Office)
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact; Early Years ABS Hub, 01495 742101, earlyyearsABSHub2@torfaen.gov.uk
The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: The Information Commissioner’s Office (Wales), 2nd Floor, Churchill House, Churchill Way, Cardiff, CF10 2HH. Telephone 0330 414 6421 or e-mail Wales@ico.org.uk
Last Modified: 05/12/2023
Back to top