Insurance Claims

In matters where you consider you are entitled to compensation in respect of any believed wrong doing by the Authority, they should be presented as a claim to the Insurance Section within Torfaen County Borough Council. The corporate complaints process is not able to deal with matters of a civil litigation (claim) nature.

When considering making a claim, please note if you have any appropriate insurance polices in place, it will be a condition of the policy to notify the insurer immediately of any loss. Any delay in notification could invalidate your policy with which you may need to rely upon in the event of liability not being accepted by the Authority. It is also your responsibility to mitigate your loss, this means you are required to keep the cost of any claim to a minimum.

The Authority WILL NOT accept any responsibility if a claim is rejected by your own insurers due to your failure to comply with any of your insurance policy conditions.

For instances where you consider the Authority’s negligence has caused damage to your building (such as a refuse truck catching and damaging your garage wall), then report the matter to your building insurer and provide them with our contact details below. Likewise, in instances involving damage to your vehicle notify your motor insurer and provide them with our contact details below. This will ensure you meet your own insurance contractual obligations and help you to mitigate your loss. In turn your insurers will then present your claim against the Authority. Where the Authority is found negligent and your insurer subsequently receives full reimbursement this should not affect your no claims discount.

Please note: During the processing of any claim, the information provided may be supplied to insurers, claims handlers and solicitors who may be appointed in order that the claim can be dealt with in accordance with current civil litigation procedures.

The authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information visit the National Fraud Initiative page.

Claimants who are found to provide false information or pursue fraudulent claims may be liable to prosecution.

We are only able to settle claims where the Authority would be found legally liable. Under our duty to protect Public Funds we are unable to offer compensation on a goodwill basis. If, unfortunately at the end of the matter, you disagree with the final stance taken, we would then suggest you seek independent legal advice.

How to claim

Download and complete the Insurance Claim Form and return either by:

  • Email:
  • Post: Insurance Section, Torfaen County Borough Council, Civic Centre, Pontypool, NP4 6YB

Alternatively, contact the Insurance Section on 01495 766118 and request a claim form to be sent to you.

We are available from 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm Friday.

Note for legal representatives

For submission of Public Liability Claims, by way of the Ministry of Justice Claims Portal, you should use our portal reference: G00286 Torfaen County Borough Council.

For submission of Employers Liability cases arising on or since 1st April 2024 the matter should go direct to Zurich Municipal using their reference C00108. Any matters arising before the 1st April 2024 should go direct to Gallagher Bassett using their reference D00019.  And further any Matters before the 1st April 2019 should go direct to Zurich Municipal using their reference C00108

For submission of Motor Cases where Injury was sustained in a Road Traffic Accident  with one of our vehicles on or since the 1st April 2024 the matter should go Direct to Travelers using their reference C00157.

Last Modified: 18/04/2024
For more information contact:

Insurance Section

Tel: 01495 766118


Back to top