Posted on: Tuesday 20 April 2021
Torfaen County Borough Council is seeking bids from organisations wishing to deliver activity as part of the UK Community Renewal Fund.
Please read the UK Community Renewal Fund Prospectus and the UK Community Fund Technical Note for Project Applicants and Deliverers before starting work on a bid. They are available here.
The Prospectus provides detailed information on the objectives of the Fund, the types of projects it intends to support and how it operates, including the process and selection criteria that will be used to assess bids.
Successful UK Community Renewal Fund bids will be for 2021/22 only and activity must end in March 2022.
The UK Community Renewal Fund is a competitive process and Torfaen County Borough Council and the UK Government will not enter into discussions with bidders.
To help local areas prepare for the introduction of the UK Shared Prosperity Fund, the UK Government is providing funding in 2021/22 through the UK Community Renewal Fund. We are interested in bids that build on local insight and knowledge, and project proposals that align with long-term strategic plans for local growth, target people most in need and support community renewal. In addition, projects should show how they complement other national and local provision. A focus for this Fund is to support innovation and new ideas in these areas, investing in pilots that draw on local insights and which will help places to prepare for the introduction of the UK Shared Prosperity Fund in 2022.
Torfaen County Borough Council has been designated as a lead authority by the UK Government. As a lead authority, Torfaen County Borough Council is responsible for:
- issuing this invitation
- receiving bids
- selecting the bids that will be sent to UK Government for consideration
- paying grants to successful projects and managing their performance
Full details of the role of lead authorities can be found in the UK Community Renewal Fund Prospectus.
What type of bids are we looking for?
Projects must deliver activity that is line with the UK Community Renewal Fund Prospectus and align with at least one of these investment priorities:
- Investment in skills
- Investment for local business
- Investment in communities and place
- Supporting people into employment
There are no financial allocations to these priorities.
The UK Government anticipates supporting a range of projects by theme and size, but applicants are encouraged to maximise impact and deliverability through larger projects (£500,000+) where this is possible.
As 90% of funding available through the UK Community Renewal Fund is revenue funding and only available in 2021/22, projects should be predominantly, or exclusively revenue based. Projects that focus predominantly on the construction or major refurbishment of buildings, the purchase of land or the purchase of large pieces of equipment will not be supported.
In selecting the bids to be forwarded to the UK Government for consideration, Torfaen County Borough Council will prioritise the bids that have the greatest potential to deliver against our Local Growth Priorities:
- A successful Torfaen economy will produce a sustained increase in economic output
- A successful Torfaen economy will see Torfaen’s businesses taking an active role in regional priority-sector supply chains
- A successful Torfaen economy will create high skilled employment opportunities for local residents
- A successful Torfaen economy will encourage business innovation in public priorities like climate change, healthcare & manufacturing productivity
- A successful Torfaen economy will continue to create and sustain secure employment for our residents
- A successful Torfaen economy will be socially inclusive supporting vulnerable groups into employment
- A successful Torfaen economy will create resilient places which attract and anchor local companies
- A successful Torfaen economy will recognise the role of wellbeing advice & guidance in encouraging social inclusion
Alignment with the relevant Well-Being Plan Objectives and Corporate Recovery Plan Prioritieswill also need to be considered:
Well-being Plan Objectives
- Develop mitigation and adaptation responses to the impacts of climate change
- Provide children and young people with the best possible start in life
- Tackle the intergenerational patterns of poverty and develop economic resilience
- Improve local skills through work-force planning, training, apprenticeships, and volunteering opportunities
Corporate Recovery Plan Priorities
- Encourage all young people to participate in post-16 education or training
- Support people to be equipped to deal with the economic and financial challenges they face
- Support people losing, or in danger of losing employment, as a result of COVID-19 by increasing their skills, qualifications and employability, secure an apprenticeship, a job or to start a business
- Support the establishment and success of small businesses
- Promote and encourage town centre regeneration by supporting new and diverse activity
Applicants must consider the Welsh Language Act 1993 and Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011. This must be demonstrated within 2f Equalities considerations of the application form.
Please refer to Torfaen CBC UKCRF Welsh Language Requirements Guidance and Torfaen CBC Compliance Notice*.
*For copies contact European Policy & External Funding Team firstname.lastname@example.org
Geographic Coverage - projects should benefit Torfaen County Borough Council
How Bids will be assessed
As the lead authority Torfaen County Borough Council will assess all bids submitted.
Torfaen County Borough Council will manage the assessment of all bids via an independent panel made up of a cross-section of representatives from the third, public and private sectors to ensure a transparent and open process.
Bids will be assessed against:
- the gateway criteria set out in the UK Community Renewal Fund Prospectus – bids that fail to meet these criteria are ineligible for support and will be rejected
- the extent to which they meet the objectives of UK Community Renewal Fund
- the extent to which bids would support the delivery of local growth and employment support priorities
Following assessment Torfaen County Borough Council will submit those eligible bids that most strongly meet the UK Community Renewal Fund and Torfaen Local Growth priorities to the UK Government for consideration, up to an indicative maximum of £3m per place (this figure is inclusive of up to 3% management fees set aside to finance Lead Authority obligations).
The UK Government will assess all bids submitted by lead authorities against the criteria set out in the UK Community Renewal Fund Prospectus.
The UK Government will announce the outcome of the assessment process from late July 2021 onwards.
Applicants should note that UK Community Renewal Fund costs may only be incurred from the point of approval onwards. Retrospective costs will not be paid.
Torfaen County Borough Council will enter into a funding agreement with successful bidders.
Submitting a Bid
Bids must be submitted using the UK Community Renewal Fund Application Form, which is available here. Bids submitted in any other format will not be accepted.
Bids must be submitted to Torfaen County Borough Council using this email address: email@example.com
Bids must be submitted by 5pm on 7th May 2021
For further information / copies of documents, please contact the European Policy & External Funding Team firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on data we will collect as part of this process please visit Privacy Notices