Posted on: Monday 28 September 2020
Coronavirus laws are being further tightened in Torfaen tonight from 6pm (Monday 28 September) in response to a rising rate of Covid-19 cases in the borough and due to Torfaen’s proximity to neighbouring areas where numbers are significantly higher. This follows a meeting on Sunday between Welsh Government Ministers and the Leader of Torfaen Council, Cllr Anthony Hunt.
The latest figures published by Public Health Wales show a rate of 52.1 positive covid-19 cases per 100,000 people and a positivity rate of 4.5% with positive cases more than doubling week on week from 13 over a 7 day to 49 over a 7 day period.
The restrictions, which will apply to everyone living in living in Torfaen, are:
- People will not be allowed to enter or leave Torfaen without a reasonable excuse, such as travel for work or education;
- People will only be able to meet people they don’t live with outdoors for the time being. They will not be able to form, or be in, extended households (sometimes known as ‘bubbles’). This means meeting indoors (in people’s houses, in a pub or elsewhere) with anyone you don’t live with is not allowed at the moment unless you have a good reason, such as providing care to a vulnerable person.
- All licensed premises have to stop serving alcohol at 10pm.
- Everyone over 11 will be required to wear face coverings in indoor places, which are open to the public, such as shops, as well as on public transport – as is the case in the rest of Wales. (There are some limited exemptions for people with disabilities and medical conditions – these are the same as for public transport).
Cllr Hunt said: ‘I know the introduction of restrictions is always a difficult decision, but it is a decision I support in order to protect people’s health and to try and break the chain of transmission in Torfaen and stop the situation from getting worse. We have already seen this strategy work effectively in Caerphilly and Newport where numbers have dropped dramatically due to people adhering to the new rules. Interventions are being implemented to ahead of the curve which has been rising sharply.
‘It is now really important everyone in Torfaen follows the rules to help to bring coronavirus under control. We need everyone to pull together and to follow the measures which are there to protect you and your loved ones.’
Please Keep Torfaen safe by:
- Always keeping your distance
- Washing your hands regularly
- Working from home wherever you can
- Following any local restrictions
- Following the rules about meeting people
- Staying at home if you or anyone in your extended household has symptoms.
The following frequently asked questions are related to the Torfaen area and the link www.gov.wales/local-lockdown provides information on the regulations in force on all local lockdown areas.
All local restrictions measures will be kept under regular review.