Posted on: Friday 4 September 2020
Penygarn Head Teacher Louisa Sellars holding the school’s Covid Secure Building certificate.
The health and safety of pupils and staff returning to school in Torfaen is a top priority for the council.
Therefore, we are ensuring that all our Education buildings are ‘Covid Secure’ by complying with the government’s guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19.
Each education establishment will be displaying a ‘Staying COVID-19 Secure in 2020’ certificate.
In order for our buildings to be considered ‘Covid Secure’ a series of checks must be carried out and jointly signed off by one of our Health and Safety advisors and the head teacher, ensuring:
- We have carried out a COVID-19 risk assessment and shared the results with the people who work here
- We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with guidance
- We have taken all reasonable steps to help people work from home
- We have taken all reasonable steps to maintain a 2m distance in the workplace
- Where people cannot be 2m apart, we have done everything practical to manage transmission risk
While our school buildings are Covid secure it is important to remember that physical distancing, hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene (catching a cough or sneeze in a tissue or covering the mouth and nose with an elbow or sleeve) remain strongly evidenced to be the most effective ways to prevent the spread of coronavirus.