Posted on: Wednesday 15 May 2019
At the annual general meeting (AGM) of Torfaen council on Tuesday, all the key political appointments to the council's cabinet, committees and outside bodies were confirmed for the year ahead.
The first act of the AGM was to appoint a Presiding Member and Deputy Presiding Member for the municipal year 2019/20, to chair Council meetings.
Cllr Jessica Powell was re-elected as the council’s Presiding Member and Cllr Giles Davies was elected as Deputy Presiding Member.
Council Leader, Cllr Anthony Hunt was re-elected alongside his Deputy Leader, Cllr Richard Clark who will also hold the portfolio for Economy, Skills and Regeneration.
Cabinet members have been appointed to the following portfolios for the year ahead:
- Executive Member for Education - Cllr David Yeowell
- Executive Member for Children, Families & Communities - Cllr Mandy Owen
- Executive Member for Environment - Cllr Fiona Cross
- Executive Member for Resources - Cllr Kelly Preston
- Executive Member for Corporate Governance & Performance – Cllr Alan Jones
- Executive Member for Adult Services & Housing - Cllr David Daniels
The Chairs of Committees will be:
- Chair of the Healthier Communities O&S Committee - Cllr Huw Bevan
- Chair of the Prosperous Communities O&S Committee - Cllr Janet Jones
- Chair of the Cleaner Communities O&S Committee - Cllr Peter Jones
- Chair of the Children and Young People O&S Committee - Cllr Jessica Powell
- Chair of the Cross-cutting Resources & Business O&S Committee - Cllr Stuart Ashley
- Chair of the Planning Committee - Cllr Norma Parrish
- Chair of the Licensing Committee - Cllr Giles Davies
- Chair of the Pensions Committee - Cllr Glyn Caron
- Chair of the Democratic Services Committee - Cllr Ray Mills
- Chair of Audit Committee – to be elected by the committee