Private Sector Housing

Torfaen County Borough Council is responsible for the regulation of safety and standards in private sector housing within Torfaen.

Responsibilities include:

  • carrying out assessments of private rented housing under The Housing Health and Safety Rating System to ensure that any residential premises provides a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier or visitor
  • providing advice for landlords and private sector tenants
  • dealing with public nuisances such as dirty premises, noxious premises, accumulations of rubbish in gardens, smell nuisances and nuisances from animals kept on premises
  • dealing with empty properties
  • dealing with damp and deterioration and where the poor condition of one property is affecting another
  • dealing with defective private drains and sewers
  • dealing with landlord harassment or unlawful eviction

Who is the service for?

The service is available to all private sector tenants and owner occupiers. For further information or advice, contact the  Housing Safety and Environmental Protection Team or see the information and reporting links on this page.

Repairs and maintenance

Both landlords and tenants have responsibilities for keeping a property well maintained.

Tenants should inform their landlord about any repairs that are needed to the property and, once reported, landlords should inspect and carry out any necessary repairs, within a reasonable timeframe. We recommend communicating issues of disrepair to your landlord in writing or email.

We may be able to offer help and advice if a landlord ignores a tenant’s request or refuses to carry out necessary repairs.

If we have to visit a property we will use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to make an assessment.

Where there are unacceptable hazards at the property we will contact the landlord to discuss the condition and the options available.

Reporting problems

To report problems you may be experiencing with your rental property, please complete the relevant form from the following list: 


Enforcement procedures are available where informal action is unsuccessful or inappropriate.

For more information, download the Public Protection Enforcement Policy

Energy Efficiency Advice

Visit our Energy Efficiency page and the Free Insulation Scheme website to find out more

Tenant information

Landlord information

Registration and Licensing of Private Rents

Landlords are required by law to be registered or licensed.

The Law in Wales applies to all landlords and agents of private residential property. If you own, rent out, manage and/or live in a rented property then this law will impact on you.

To find out more view the Rent Smart Wales page.

Last Modified: 07/11/2023
For more information contact:

Housing Standards and Environmental Protection Team

Tel: 01633 647622


Back to top