We will provide comprehensive housing advice to anyone to obtain or retain accommodation.
A personal housing plan will be agreed between agencies identifying reasonable steps to resolve your current housing situations. Where required referrals will be made to housing related support agencies to assist households in undertaking all reasonable steps including financial inclusion support services.
The Housing (Wales) 2014 introduces new legislation which ensures a much greater emphasis on prevention and will deliver more help to more people.
Key features of the new legislation include:
- A new duty to help anyone threatened with homelessness within the next 56 days
- A duty to provide help to any homeless person to help secure a home
- A power rather than a duty to apply the intentionality test
- New powers for Local Authorities to discharge their homelessness duties through finding accommodation in the private rented sector
- Stronger duties on Housing Associations to support Local Authorities in carrying out their homelessness duties.
If you are already homeless, your situation will be assessed by our housing solutions team. Depending on your circumstances and the reason for your homelessness, you may qualify for interim accommodation.
Young people under the age of 18 will be referred to social care services in order to assess their specific needs and requirements. Torfaen Young People’s Service (TYPSS) can offer help and support for young people aged 16 and 17. For further information Tel: 01633 647721.
All assessments for housing are carried out in line with current housing legislation as set out by the Housing (Wales) Act 2014.
Last Modified: 14/01/2019
Back to top