Social Care Services

Accessing Social Services

Social Care Services provide support in the community for people who need support, care or protection to live both independently and safely. Visit the Health and Social Care area of the website for information on how to access Social Services in Torfaen.


Age Concern Gwent provide a Torfaen advocacy service which offers confidential information and support to people aged 50 or more already living in, or considering a move to, a residential or nursing care home within the County Borough of Torfaen. For more information on the service visit

Carers and Caring

You may not immediately recognise yourself as a carer, and may ignore your own needs. It can also be difficult to insist that other people (including the person you are caring for) recognise your need for support, understanding, and even a break from caring. Whatever your situation, it is not reasonable for anyone to expect you to be a carer without help. More information about the support and advice that is available to you is available in the Carers area of the website.

Community Meals (Meals on Wheels)

Torfaen provides a community meals service for people living in their own homes who are unable to prepare their own meals. Further information on the community meals services is available here.

Domiciliary Care Services

The Personal Care Team supports service users and carers to achieve greater independence. It aims to provide services that are flexible and responsive to individual needs and other aspects of daily life. Information on Domiciliary Care Services provided in Torfaen can be found here.

If you are interested in becoming a domicilary carer, find out what job vacancies we have here. Watch the video to find out what the role involves.

Safeguarding Vulnerable Older People

If you are concerned about adult abuse because someone has told you something; or you have seen or heard something that makes you feel uncomfortable or uneasy about the care of a friend, relative or neighbour, you can report your concerns to Torfaen Council. Torfaen Council has worked closely with partners to develop strict guidelines to respond promptly, discretely and sensitively when abuse is reported or suspected. For more information on the Safeguarding Unit and how to report a concern visit the Adult Protection area of the website.

Residential and Nursing Care Homes

It is important to choose a care home that will meet your physical, emotional and social needs, now and in the future, and that you feel comfortable living there. All residential care homes offer personal care for people who are no longer able to live at home, even with support. Nursing homes provide nursing care in addition to personal care and must have qualified nursing staff on duty at all times. For more information on the options available to you visit the Residential and Nursing Care area of the website.

Last Modified: 08/02/2022
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200



Back to top