Legal Matters and Capacity

Court of Protection

If you have a family member, friend or neighbour who you think is having difficulties making decisions about their finance and property or their personal welfare, then they may need someone to be appointed to make these decisions on their behalf. The Court of Protection deals with these situations.

Enduring Power of Attorney

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) allows someone to make decisions for you about your property and financial affairs. EPAs were replaced by Lasting Power of Attorneys (LPAs) but may still be used if made and signed before October 2007. Find out more about how EPAs work.

Lasting Power of Attorney

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document. It allows you to appoint someone that you trust as an ‘attorney’ to make decisions on your behalf. Attorneys can make decisions for you when you no longer wish to or when you lack the mental capacity to do so. Further information on the Lasting Power of Attorney is available here.

Making a Will

By making a will you can decide what happens to your property and possessions after your death. Although you do not have to make one by law, it is the best way to make sure your estate is passed on to family and friends exactly as you wish. If you die without a will, your assets may be distributed according to the law rather than your wishes. Information on What to do after a Death can be found on the DirectGov website.

Mental Capacity Act 2005

The Mental Capacity Act 2005 for England and Wales supports and protects people who may be unable to make some decisions. Information on what the Mental Capacity Act covers and how it can help people is available on the Justice website.

Registering to Vote

To find out more information how you can register to Vote in Torfaen, visit the Electoral Registration area of the website.


Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200



Back to top