Keeping Safe

Assistive Technology, Community Alarm Systems and Telecare

Modern technology now plays a large part in helping older people and those with disabilities to live independently. Assistive technology is a term used to cover a wide range of technology-related assistance which enables people to perform tasks that they would otherwise be unable to do, or provides a safer environment within the home. Further information on the Telecare and Life Line Service is available here. 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A poorly-maintained gas appliance can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Learn more about the symptoms of this and how to prevent it from happening in your home by visiting the Gas Safety Register website.

Community Safety

The Community Safety Team in Torfaen deal with issues relating to anti-social behaviour and nuisance neighbours. To find out more about how to report a problem in your area, visit the Tackling Anti-Social Behaviour area of the website.

If you would like to report a non-emergency incident to the police, such as anti-social behaviour you can use the telephone number 101.

For information on your local neighbourhood watch scheme and your local neighbourhood policing team, contact Gwent Police on 01633 838111 or visit .

Domestic Abuse

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing (or has experienced) physical, emotional or sexual violence in the home, the Women's Aid National Domestic Violence Helpline can give you support, help and information over the telephone for the cost of a local call, wherever you are in the country. For information contact the local Torfaen Women’s Aid service on: 01495 742 052.

Gas Leaks

To report a gas leak, call 0800 111 999. For more information on the National Grid visit

Junk Mail and Unwanted Telephone Calls

The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) is the largest trade association for the marketing and communications sector. Their preference services block unwanted mail, telephone calls and faxes.

Register for the Telephone Preference Service online, or call 0800 398893.

The Fax Preference Service is on 020 7291 3330

Register for the Mail Preference Service online, or call 0207 2913300.

The Royal Mail delivers letters addressed to ‘the occupier’. These can be opted out of by emailing or telephoning 08457 950 950.

Neighbourhood Watch Schemes

Neighbourhood Watch schemes encourage neighbours to look out for each other, develop community spirit, have a collective stronger voice in their community and work together to protect their community and report suspicious people / incidents to the police. For information on your local neighbourhood watch scheme and your local neighbourhood policing team, contact Gwent Police on 01633 838111 or visit

Power Cuts

If you have a power cut contact your Utility provider or Local Distributor or Western Power Distribution: 0800 052 0400. Alternatively visit

PACT Meetings

PACT is the name given to partnership and community engagement, held at neighbourhood level to enable members of local communities to highlight their concerns and identify priorities for their Neighbourhood Policing Teams and to other partner members to address. For information on your local PACT group meetings, and your local neighbourhood policing team, contact Gwent Police on 01633 838111 or visit

South Wales Fire and Rescue

South Wales Fire and Rescue offer Free Home Fire Safety Check, Smoke Alarms and help you to plan a safe escape in your home. To find out more about the Free home fire Safety check tel: 0800 169 1234 or complete the online registration form

Specialist Equipment

If you require any specialist medical equipment, speak to your GP or Torfaen Social Services team. and they will be able to arrange this for you. Alternatively you may wish to purchase equipment directly from a supplier. There are many independent suppliers but we would recommend that you seek professional advice before making any expensive purchase.

Water Leaks and Flooding

If you have an external leak at your property, you can report the leak to Welsh Water on 0800 281 432. For information on water services and emergencies contact Welsh Water on 0800 052 0130. For information on sewerage services and emergencies contact Welsh Water on 0800 085 3968.

If you have an Internal leak at your property, Care and Repair Torfaen can arrange for a reputable company to make any repairs in your home. Care and Repair offer their service to homeowners or private tenants that have a disability or are over the aged of 60, they do not charge their clients for arranging for a reputable company to do the repair but the company that do the repair will charge you for their service. Contact Care and Repair on 08453 101180.

Age Concern Torfaen also offer a "Handy Person" service which can be used to repair internal water leaks. The service is available to those who are over 50 and reside in Torfaen. It is chargeable and referrals can be made via the telephone. Tel: 01495 769264.

If you rent your property, you should contact your landlord directly about any internal water leaks.

Bron Afon tenants can report a problem on 0800 111 43 43.

Melin Homes tenants can call 0845 310 1102.

Last Modified: 01/04/2022
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200


Back to top