Housing Advice

Energy Efficiency

For top tips on saving energy and to find out what grants and offers are available to help you save energy and money, click on the links below.

Extra Care Housing

Extra care is similar to sheltered housing in that residents have their own front door and their own tenancy (or other type of tenure), but with an increased range of facilities on the premises, with scope to provide greater range of care and support. For further information visit the Extra Care Housing area of the website.

Independent Living

See independent living section for help with home and garden maintenance.

Residential and Resident Nursing Homes

It is important to choose a care home that will meet your physical, emotional and social needs, now and in the future, and that you feel comfortable living there. All residential care homes offer personal care for people who are no longer able to live at home, even with support. Nursing homes provide nursing care in addition to personal care and must have qualified nursing staff on duty at all times. For more information on the options available to you, visit the Residential & Nursing Care area of the website.

Shelter Cymru

Shelter Cymru provide housing advice, social services and advocacy work on behalf of homeless people. For more information visit the Shelter Cymru website or call them on 0845 075 5005.

Sheltered Housing/ Retirement Schemes

Sheltered housing is rented accommodation which is specially designed for older people and allows people to live independently in a safe and secure environment, with professional support close at hand should it be needed. There are various Sheltered Housing providers in Torfaen. To visit their individual websites, click on the links below:

Social Landlords

Torfaen Council is no longer a social landlord and it does not own any council houses, flats or sheltered housing complexes. 

Supporting People

Supporting People provides funding for supported accommodation and housing related support to help vulnerable people to live as independently as possible in the community. For more information on the programme visit the Supporting People area of the website.

Tenancy Support Service (TFS)

TFS is a Support Service which is made up of a number of experienced support agencies that offer a wide range of support to people who need help to stay in their current home or who need help to find a new home. To find out more visit the Tenancy Support Service website. 

Last Modified: 05/12/2018
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200

Email: your.call@torfaen.gov.uk

Back to top