Household costs

New GOV.UK checker for benefits and financial support

A new tool has been launched to help you find out what benefits and financial support you may be eligible for.

Answer 10 questions to find out what support is available.

You can find the tool at

Help for Households (

If you are struggling with the rising cost of living, the UK Government have created the Help for Households website which puts available financial support and advice all in one place.

See what cost of living support you could be eligible for at

Financial support

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a simple, single payment for people out of work or in work and on a low income. For more information visit the Universal Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction area of our website.

Carers Allowance

Carers Allowance is paid to people caring for at least 35 hours a week, who care for someone receiving certain benefits and who earn no more than £128 a week. For more information, visit the financial support for carers area of our website.

Discretionary Housing Payments

For people on Universal Credit but still struggling to pay rent. For more information visit the Discretionary Housing Payments area of our website.

Council tax reduction

If you are on benefits or have a low-income you may be eligible for a reduction. For more information visit the Reductions and Discounts area of our website.

Tenancy Hardship Grant

Welsh Government grant for private and social rented sector tenants. For more information visit

Welsh Water HelpU

If you have a low income, you may be entitled to a reduction on your water rates. You can apply online at Bron Afon tenants will need to use the following reference number: 3489812601. You can call Welsh Water on 0800 052 0145.

Pupil Development Grants

A Welsh Government grant for low-income families to help with costs including uniform, footwear and extra-curricular activities. For more info visit the Pupil Development Grants area of our website.

Education Maintenance Support

Weekly £30 support for fulltime students aged 16, 17 or 18 before 31 August. For more information visit


Torfaen Council benefits team

Contact by email at or phone the Customer Care Team on 01495 766430 or 01495 766570. Or you can call in at one of our Customer Care Centres.

Entitled to

Free benefits calculator to work out your entitlement to benefits and tax credit. Visit

Torfaen Housing Solutions

Torfaen Housing Solutions Team provides advice around tenancy issues, preventing homelessness, debt, money and money management. You can contact Torfaen Housing Solutions team directly on 01495 742301 or by emailing

Debt advice

Financial and Benefits Advice

Disability Advice Project

Cwmbran-based charity that helps people apply for benefits -

Gateway Credit Union

For savings information and low-rate loans visit the Gateway Credit Union website.

Turn 2 us

An independent charity that helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other help. For further information visit the Turn 2 us website.

Torfaen Citizens Advice

Torfaen Citizens Advice service is available for all adults who are seeking help with benefits, debt, housing, employment and any other issue you may have.

Call 0300 330 2117 to speak to an adviser or access the Torfaen Citizens Advice video chat service

You can also get advice from their national help lines:

  • Help to Claim Universal Credit - 0800 024 1220
  • Consumer Advice Help Line - 0808 223 1133
  • Pensionwise - 0800 138 3944
  • Adviceline Wales - 0344 447 2020

Advicelink Cymru

For debt and money advice and further information on any additional financial support you may be entitled to, you may wish to contact Advicelink Cymru. Please call Freephone 0800 702 2020 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) or to access information and/or talk to adviser online visit the Advicelink Cymru website.

Last Modified: 21/09/2022
For more information contact:

Call Torfaen

Tel: 01495 762200


Back to top