Information for the Self-Employed

If you are self-employed and your earnings are low and your savings are less than £16,000 you may qualify for Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Reduction. 

You are self-employed if you are

  • responsible for paying your own Income Tax and National Insurance contributions
  • a sole trader or in a business partnership
  • a childminder 

Fostering allowances and rental income do not count as self-employed earnings. 

If you would like to apply for Housing/Council Tax Reduction, you can now make a claim online. Use the Benefits Calculator to make an application. Alternatively you can make a claim by phoning us on 0800 028 2569. We will need your name, address and contact phone number. We will then arrange to complete the claim with you by personal interview at either Cwmbran or Pontypool Customer Care Centre.

If you are unable to provide documentary evidence of your income and expenditure, please print off and complete the attached Self Employed Earnings Information Sheet and enclose with your completed Housing/Council Tax Reduction application form. 

Further information is available in the Information for the Self-Employed Leaflet.

Last Modified: 18/01/2019
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430

Email: revs&

Back to top