Guidance for Private Landlords

Who can claim? 

A tenant can claim Housing Benefit if they have to pay rent for their home and they:

  • are on a low income or are claiming state benefits (such as Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or the State Retirement Pension); and
  • have savings of less than £16,000

However, if your tenant is living with you and is a close relative of yours, he or she will not usually be able to get Housing Benefit. 

How does my tenant claim Housing Benefit? 

Depending on your tenant's circumstances, he or she will have to make an application by contacting:

  • Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service; or
  • the Council to make a claim. They should do this by contacting us on 0800 028 2569. We will need their name, address and contact phone number. We will then arrange to complete the claim with them by personal interview.

If your tenant has difficulty getting into one of our offices we can arrange for a Housing Benefit Visiting Officer to visit them in their own home in order to complete the claim. 

Your tenant can now apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction online using the Benefits Calculator.

Your tenant should contact us if they need more information on making a claim.

Further information is available in the Guidance for Private Landlords Leaflet.

Last Modified: 18/01/2019
For more information contact:

Customer Care Team

Tel: 01495 766430

Email: revs&

Back to top